02 cannable. Parked for last 8 years. Need some advice

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
airtime

#1 Post by airtime »

Hello,
I bought a 2002 cannable new. I have put about 20 to 30 hours on it then parked it until now. I rode some local mx tracks and I put all lone star suspension on it. With custom pep zps shocks ( I still have all un used factory stuff). Atv ran great, dealership put motto map on it and HMF full exhaust. I recently brought quad out of storage. Trying to decide to get it going again or just sell it/ part it. Too old for mx now but could put factory suspension back on it and trail ride. Just looking for some advice. Live in north eastern MIssissippi. I have not tried to start quad. I gotta change all fluids and have not had time yet.
Thanks
Gerald

speedracer

#2 Post by speedracer »

Did you leave fuel in it when you parked it?I would check the fuel lines for dry rot for sure.

airtime

#3 Post by airtime »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Jul 20 2014, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you leave fuel in it when you parked it?I would check the fuel lines for dry rot for sure.

I believe so. I will check on that. Thanks

311racer

#4 Post by 311racer »

i would be interested in the pep shocks if you part. Are they standard or long travel ?

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

8 year old gas may have gummed up your injectors,fuelpump ect.If it has a mag.valve cover the coolant may have ate your cover,got some work to do.

airtime

#6 Post by airtime »

QUOTE (311racer @ Jul 21 2014, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would be interested in the pep shocks if you part. Are they standard or long travel ?

They r set up for A rider skill level and 200 lb. rider and +2 A-arms.

airtime

#7 Post by airtime »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Jul 21 2014, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
8 year old gas may have gummed up your injectors,fuelpump ect.If it has a mag.valve cover the coolant may have ate your cover,got some work to do.

No gas is in tank now. Might of drained it but I don't remember doing that. Might of leaked out. I will know more once I refill tank with fresh gas

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep beware per above..
Don't try to use the starter -- until after the frame-sump oil is drained and refilled... the motor is very likely oil-locked and you will damage things. Also, only turn over the motor manually at first.
Also don't drain and refill the coolant unless you KNOW the machine. The valvecover is likely corroded and the impeller chamber will need a bleed check.
The fuelpump might be rust seized and can be recovered -- unless you start putting power to it,... too soon.
Call for misc tips.