My quad journal

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Blasterboy11

#1 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Figured id keep all my crap in one thread instead of posting all over the place! So far ive had my Moto, and more recently picked up a Speed and now a Cannibal

- 02 Moto

[attachment=13209:208053_5...6_6179_n.jpg]
[attachment=13212:moto2.jpg]
[attachment=13215:moto6.jpg]

- 03 Speed

[attachment=13213:speed.jpg]
[attachment=13210:speed7.jpg]

-03 Cannibal

[attachment=13214:cannibal.jpg]
[attachment=13211:cannibal2.jpg]

Blasterboy11

#2 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Just picked up this Cannibal yesterday for a few hundred bucks, really low hours, super clean except for scratched plastics. Motor was rebuilt with brand new parts from Blackwidow, had this kid not kept any receipts i wouldnt have taken it, but it included all the factory paperwork, receipts, and a box of spare parts. A exhaust valve keeper let go and ruined the top end, that was about $600 in parts down the drain. I was going to use it for parts but its too clean, so the moto motor is going in here.

[attachment=13220:cannibal.jpg]
[attachment=13216:cannibal2.jpg]
[attachment=13217:cannibal3.jpg]
[attachment=13218:cannibal4.jpg]
[attachment=13219:cannibal5.jpg]

Blasterboy11

#3 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Todays project put me in a bad mood, i picked this speed up in February for $300. I knew id be taking a gamble on it puking oil into the airbox so i pulled the clutch cover to find stripped plastic pump gears. I set out to replace them today, only to find out this entire motor was rebuilt by someone and while they used new/updated parts, they did a really lousy job so now im paying for it. I think someone blew this up, it was rebuilt by a rocket scientist and not thoroughly cleaned out, then put back together. There was tons of steel shavings everywhere, as well as stainless mesh. I pulled the cartridge plate to find no trans filter at all. The plate side of the filter where it enters the pump was all boogered, i think the filter fell out when the motor was reassembled and got thrown around the case.

Mission: Replace pump gears, do a motor check up

What i found:
- Metal, everywhere. 90% of it was steel
-Found a bunch of bolts backed out/loose on the crank plate, cartridge plate and oil pump
-loose clutch bolts
-No trans filter
-more metal
-seized trans oil pump
-chewed up motor oil pump
-timing off 2 teeth
-stripped oil drive gears
-worn out counter shaft sprocket bearing

New parts i found:
-Timing chain/guides/tensioner/crank sprocket
-Updated clutch basket roller bearings
-New clutch plates
-new roller bearings for timing components
-updated head bolts
-updated wiring harness

[attachment=13222:speed13.jpg]
[attachment=13223:speed14.jpg]
[attachment=13224:speed17.jpg]
[attachment=13225:speed19.jpg]
[attachment=13226:speed21.jpg]
[attachment=13227:speed22.jpg]
[attachment=13228:speed20.jpg]

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

That Cannibal motor is not the keeper letting go.... That was a sticking valve bucket. That is the primary valve to go. Once it sticks the piston slaps the valve and the rest of the parts go with it. Heads rebuilt right and good cams and springs I haven't seen a dropped valve in years.

The Speed motor has the makings of a full blown crank bearing failure. With all of those bolts loose someone just cobbled it back together to get rid of it.

Blasterboy11

#5 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Yeh I figured as much, the more I took apart the more stuff was mangled up. Now I have 3 quads I cant use haha, what are my chances of the crank/rod being good in the cannibal motor? Are cranks as hard to get as pistons/sleeves? I just don't want to be waiting for months with these all apart, I have no problem rebuilding the motors myself I just don't know where to find these few parts.

Blasterboy11

#6 Post by Blasterboy11 »

And which bearing is the one that usually goes out, the stator side crank bearing?

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

Black Widow ATV, Canniboomer or Timbo can help you out on a crank. The bearing is the rod to crank bearing not the crank main bearings. Until you press the crank apart you will not know for sure.

Blasterboy11

#8 Post by Blasterboy11 »

Tore down the cannibal bottom end, everything looked great, absolutely zero metal anywhere, bearings feel nice, crank has been balanced and in good shape. The rod has big end play so im going to press the crank apart and check everything over before re assembling with a new bearing and piston/sleeve.

[attachment=13233:cannibal6.jpg]

[attachment=13234:cannibal7.jpg]

[attachment=13235:cannibal8.jpg]

[attachment=13236:cannibal9.jpg]

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Since someone had to press the crank apart to "balance" the crank, I hope you may already have a good Z400 bearing already installed. In other words if everything was done right, that should be a salvageable crank.

Good luck!

Blasterboy11

#10 Post by Blasterboy11 »

I have maybe a 1/16 of an inch of side to side play, zero radial play in it. I was going to measure it all out to make sure its straight, this is the motor that dropped the valve. Does that look like a crank Tim might have balanced? Flywheel looks good and the key looks good as well, I may replace the key and get the upgraded stator wire while its apart.