List of Required Updates and Direction for Stored Speed

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
jjc2374

#1 Post by jjc2374 »

I have a speed 440 early model not sure of the year but it was bought new.
I inquired years ago as to what was needed to fix the machine to make it a reliable and trail worthy machine.
I remember reading about the motor updates. This engine really has less than 8-10 hrs on it, the tires still have the little tits on them!
I have read about the replacing the valve covers but what else is going to be needed. It has been stored and I did clean up a pile of antifreeze that
leaked out of it so I assume she is not in the best shape internally. I can do motor work just would like to know from those of you that have experience
on what would be needed to make her rise from the ashes! Not looking for more performance just reliability.
Thanks

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Sounds like you need to do a little reading.

I suggest FAQ's
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...hp?showforum=42

and updates and tips
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...hp?showforum=82

do some reading and most updates will be revealed and most debated too. you would think someone could just come on here and rattle off all the possible updates. but there are some that aren't that important or even needed and others that are like, "Z" bearing, sticky bucket fix and fuel lines

jjc2374

#3 Post by jjc2374 »

Thanks for the links. I was reading some of those and you hit the nail on the head! Some are not needed and others are more of a preference. What is the main engine update durability wise that needs to be done? Is that the crank bearing? Is there anything else that has to be replaced when the motor is rebuilt?

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

crank bearing is # 1 IMO. but, while you have it down you might as well have the head checked over (sticky buckets, decomp, valve spring press, Keepers and cam timming). naturally if your valve cover is shot you will need a new one. Cartrige plate bolts need some attention. a lot of people are using red locktite and or stage8 kits. I prefer the stud kits with the recommended locktite in the TB. in fact unless I am in a pinch I don't even buy the regular blue locktite. Most suppliers don't even know there is a #243 blue locktite let alone what the differance is. Just a fyi, I have heard of cartrige bolts coming out with just a few hours on the motors and most of the time it does outher damage

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

here is another simple mod. I have done to mine when they were tore down. Cannondale27 posted this and I couldn't find the original. this should probably be in the FAQ's updates & how to's

WJR get the credit for that find.When you see the contact it is kinda scary!

wjr
Found Neutral!

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:25 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Symptom: With transmission cassette installed in case, without clutch basket or countershaft sprocket/spacer--i.e. just the transmission cassette. When free spinning the trans in second gear, it sounds like there is a bunch of clunking and marbles rolling around.

2. Problem: The countershaft 4th gear far (sprocket) side is bumping the mainshaft near (clutch) side on the tops of the teeth--the peaks of the mountains. WHatever you call that area.

3. Fix: Remove constant section retaining ring from mainshaft end carefully--you can pick it out nicely and then reuse it. Slide off second gear. Examine it and see where the contact is taking place, about an 1/8th to 3/16th of an inch of the top of the teeth to the inside of the gear. Dremel off about 0.02 to 0.03"--just enough to prevent the bumping. I used a zip tie around the gear as a template. Mine looks like it has a step down on the edge of the gear now. And it is smooth.