flush

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
cannondalemaine

#1 Post by cannondalemaine »

Does anyone know a good way to flush the oil passage in the frame? Motor blew and got water thru the oil,so i just want get all the nasty oil out...thx

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Its been about ten years since I had to flush a frame but I used to hang the frame minus the swingarm(better a bare frame ) from a cherry picker and blast it with a steam cleaner on maximum soap . All hoses and fitting removed and shoot into every single one of them . Changing the position of the frame in all directions and repeat the process about 5 times usually cleaned out all the metal. It was amazing how sparkly the floor looked especially after doing a fx400 with a brass cage bearing failure. Then blast air into every hole till no more water comes out and let it sit in the sun for a while. Always use a pellet magnet in the oil screen and check every ride and clean until you see nothing.
The scavange line magnet sight glasses are worth their weight in gold to alert you of impending doom and to keep metal from getting into the frame. Weirdly enough I have not had an engine failure in as many years as I have been using them to see them collect failure debris. Oh crap I just jinxed myself.... ohmy.gif

Kuma

#3 Post by Kuma »

When I did mine I used Diesel fuel as a solvent, or did I use gas, been a long time, I used a fuel pump and kept pumping through the frame and recycling, stop trap some of the solvent in there, do your best to shake it around flush more repeat, change angles of the frame, it's a major pain. I was pumping through a filter so what ever came out didn't go back in also had a magnet in line to trap the steel particles.

maybe a combination of methods, you should be able to find several threads on the subject, good luck

cannondalemaine

#4 Post by cannondalemaine »

Thx alot guys and i did strip the bike to every part and bolt i thought if rebuilding the motor why not do the whole quad to how i want it...so im going to do one of those methods and hope to get everything out of the frame cuz im sure there is some shavings in there of some sort,by the way of what the inside of the motor looked...once again thank you

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Sometimes you get lucky and the scavange pump will jam and strip the teeth off the gears not letting to much go into the frame.

cannondalemaine

#6 Post by cannondalemaine »

Wistech i did ur version and wow that worked great i lost count how many times i flushed it and everything is clean now just a couple flakes came out into a screen i used...thx alot again for the info