advice?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
vickie0523

#1 Post by vickie0523 »

I was recently introduced to the process of hydo dipping by a friend who had some golf clubs and a gun done. he told me a little about the process and told me the owner of the company does parts for street bikes,side by sides,helmets,ect.he gave me the owners number and I called him to find out more about it.the owner explained to me that he can change the color of any plastic and even put prints behind the color such as carbon fiber,camo,ect .after talking to him a while he told me that he has been looking to do an entire quad. he had done small parts for them but not a whole thing. I told him I had a cannondale and he actually remembered them but forgot what they looked like. I sent him pics of mine and he told me he was very interested in doing the bike.told me he would cut me a heck of a deal and do any color scheme and any parts I wanted in order to get his name out there for his company.curious about the idea of doing it I told him id come down the next day and bring some of my plastics down to let him look,go over colors,schemes and to learn more about the process.the next day I went down to the shop.he showed me samples of his work showed me the process.apparently the process involves light sanding of the plastic followed by adhesive spray then dipping in water for the color and print(if any). after that 2 coats of clear coat. the paint is automotive type paint. of course my main concern was how durable is this after it is done. I do ride a lot and wondered how it would hold up to dirt,brush,roost ect. he told me that the finish would hold up very well,wouldnt peel or flake unless I crashed real hard on rock or pavement. usually riding would be fine.to make a long story short im very interested in doing this and ive already got a color scheme and design picked out.basically im wondering if anybody on here has seen this done or had experience with it? any advice would be appreciated.if its gonna peel or flake off after a few hard rides then im not interested.thanks. ..

Kuma

#2 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (vickie0523 @ Apr 25 2015, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was recently introduced to the process of hydo dipping by a friend who had some golf clubs and a gun done. he told me a little about the process and told me the owner of the company does parts for street bikes,side by sides,helmets,ect.he gave me the owners number and I called him to find out more about it.the owner explained to me that he can change the color of any plastic and even put prints behind the color such as carbon fiber,camo,ect .after talking to him a while he told me that he has been looking to do an entire quad. he had done small parts for them but not a whole thing. I told him I had a cannondale and he actually remembered them but forgot what they looked like. I sent him pics of mine and he told me he was very interested in doing the bike.told me he would cut me a heck of a deal and do any color scheme and any parts I wanted in order to get his name out there for his company.curious about the idea of doing it I told him id come down the next day and bring some of my plastics down to let him look,go over colors,schemes and to learn more about the process.the next day I went down to the shop.he showed me samples of his work showed me the process.apparently the process involves light sanding of the plastic followed by adhesive spray then dipping in water for the color and print(if any). after that 2 coats of clear coat. the paint is automotive type paint. of course my main concern was how durable is this after it is done. I do ride a lot and wondered how it would hold up to dirt,brush,roost ect. he told me that the finish would hold up very well,wouldnt peel or flake unless I crashed real hard on rock or pavement. usually riding would be fine.to make a long story short im very interested in doing this and ive already got a color scheme and design picked out.basically im wondering if anybody on here has seen this done or had experience with it? any advice would be appreciated.if its gonna peel or flake off after a few hard rides then im not interested.thanks. ..

I'ts the same thing they use on the camo utvs, at least that is what I think. maybe you should do a piece of sample plastic, wouldn't matter what color or design so maybe he would do it for free, then take it to a bush and swing it around. I would think the clear coat would take a beating, if you do it let us know the results.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I think its worth a shot. Especially if your original plastic is scratched up or the red. It is amazing how dipping can cover every fold and bend .

vickie0523

#4 Post by vickie0523 »

unless I hear otherwise I think I will try it...said he would do any part I wanted including helmets if I wanted. I have 4 helmets.one new. problem is that I have 3 sets of plastic.fx400 red very good condition with good decals.black set no decals except front.very good conditions just some scratches nothing deep.silver set front is brand new with 2 rides on it and rea is in good shape as well only minor scratches.new sides never used.....I like the thick red set so I dunno if I want to cover the black or silver. I know black is more rare....once I finally got a silver set I found that I don't like it as much as I thought I would really....decisions!

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

So your saying you need some plastic to experiment on? I think I have some that could use a coating of anything. Clearcoat is not a problem on plastic as long as you use a good flex agent.

vickie0523

#6 Post by vickie0523 »

well I dunno about experiment...hope it stays on!! but I don't have a rough set to do it with so id have to use one of the ones I have. kinda hate to do it to a good set if it ends up not being durable but I can only ride one set of plastics at a time right? haha . rest of them just hang on wall til I get tired of seeing the color im using.

vickie0523

#7 Post by vickie0523 »

thought about trying to find a set that all the holes were good on just maybe scratched and rough looking but didn't want to get a lot of money in it since I ride alot and if it doesn't last long id be out all the $$.if I was just gonna put it on for looks just to show or something I wouldn't mind as much.

speedfreek

#8 Post by speedfreek »

I have a set that's scratched up I would like to do but I live in Mi. Don't know how that would work out.

vickie0523

#9 Post by vickie0523 »

yeah since shipping is usually high on plastics that's why I haven't tried to get a rough set from someone.trying to keep the cost down

Kamikazie

#10 Post by Kamikazie »

New guy chiming in here. I do hydrographics on the side and as far as parts that will see flex I advise against. Now headlight trims or stuff that don't move?.....well I'll be doing mine and they should be fine. I have a red set that I may sacrifice and see what happens. As for the side panels if you wear riding boots you'll burn through the clear no problem then into print and color coat.