Vacuum hoses

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
rcrcman

#1 Post by rcrcman »

OK so Ive got my speed fired up... all of the vacuum hoses were completely broken and literally crumbling. I have the diagram from the owners manual and I have 3 of the 4 hooked up correctly. One to the fuel reg, one to the ecu and one to the stock airbox... the 4th I have no idea where its supposed to go, the manual says "engine" Where at on the engine?

The engine will start and idle for days but if I give it any gas it will stumble sometimes backfire and stall... Im guessing there is a vacuum leak on the engine somewhere, possibly where this hose is supposed to be

Attached pic of manual diagram

Thanks!

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

You are referring to the gearcase vent, which is really better if it is separated from the other tubes. If you have a 4-way tube fitting under the airbox, you CAN route to there,
but it is better to cap that 4th nipple off. Run the line instead from top left motor nipple -- forward and down along the left frame strut, and spit out below the battery.

In any case, this has nothing to do with your stalling out problem. For that, maybe give a call. Could be electric or fuel issue.

rcrcman

#3 Post by rcrcman »

Thanks for the reply!

Ok so I capped it... Im guessing it might of went to the upper valve cover/trans vent originally? That is vented to the atmosphere currently.

Ya Im kind of stumped on the stalling.. I still need to test the tp sensor and coolant temp. I believe the crank sensor must be working or it wouldnt idle? Would air temp sensor cause this issue?

According to the previous owner the quad had sat for 6yrs. Im thinking injectors need to be replaced, new plug and retry? The fuel pump seems to have plenty of pressure and flow. There is a constant strong stream of fuel coming from the return in the tank. If I pinch the return line it immediately stalls and floods the engine.

Seems I need to pick up the D&M kit at this point, cut right to the chase and get it figured out

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

Actually a D&M Kit is usually the last thing to need, when correcting the common issues with a stock machine. Even sitting for 6 years, the calibrations are likely ok. Jobs 1 and 2 are assessing the valvecover and coolant circulation etc, and the fuel plumbing. To D&M tweak now, is to do it over again soon anyway. But grab a voltmeter. It's all basic fundamentals at this point. Congrats on finding one. There will likely be more in your future. Yes they are addicting!