Shorting new battery (s)

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
ramdog

#1 Post by ramdog »

New to the forum and new to the Cannodale family. Picked up an 02 Cannibal that sat outside for a year+. Don't know the condition before it sat. After replacing fluids, fuel lines and some vacuum hoses she fired right up (using a car battery). One thing I did do was jumped the starter switch. I could never get power to the starting solenoid. I jumped the switch down to the wire that goes to the solenoid. I did not disconnect anything. Everything seemed fine. Running good. Bought battery (ebay). Started right up. This thing halls A$$!! You can imagine my excitement :-). Drove it around the neighborhood, minimal impact (jumps, etc) for 15 or 20 minutes max. Started / stopped several times with no issues. Then while running, everything died, followed by no start, not even a solenoid click. After sitting the fuel pump would respond, then once hit start (or even turn on lights) everything would die. Put meter on it battery has 12.4+ volts. Hit start and goes down to 0. After moments slowly climbs back up to normal. I figured bad battery. Replaced. Same scenario. Figured "Cheap" battery. Bought different (ebay) battery. Of course I figured problem solved so hauled it out to the park. Third warm up lap, under load, quad dies. Same situation. Third fried battery... I think I have a problem and need some help!!

Thoughts?

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Number one lesson, most power sports batteries are made in China and are absolute garbage. I believe there is only one or maybe two brands still made in the USA. What brand of batteries are you using?

ramdog

#3 Post by ramdog »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Dec 1 2016, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Number one lesson, most power sports batteries are made in China and are absolute garbage. I believe there is only one or maybe two brands still made in the USA. What brand of batteries are you using?

Mighty Max YTX9-BS SLA
Chrome Batteries - YTX9-BS High Performance - Maintenance Free - Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

Been down that road before... the aisan batteries do not handle vibration.
The dekka or the expensive yausa is the only way to go in my opinion.
A dekka can be had a local auto supplier here for under $70 car quest also carries them but under their label.

ramdog

#5 Post by ramdog »

Bought a YUASA and problem solved.

thanks!

bigfoot17

#6 Post by bigfoot17 »

Good to hear. Enjoy your ride.