Need VIN clarification

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Not Sure

#1 Post by Not Sure »

I saw a member decoding VIN's on a thread, but I've read so many lately I don't remember which one it was and the search feature is no help. Can someone decode this VIN? I have this machine for sale here and elsewhere and just want to make sure I'm selling what I'm representing. There is a discrepancy with my state paperwork concerning the model. The application says FX440 as a model and the actual title says Cannibal 440 as the model. They are both PA state paperwork, go figure... wacko.gif Hopefully, they are one and the same. Thanks!

VIN# 5B6BD31383B000101

The VIN's match from application to actual title, as well as the sales contract, just a model discrepancy for some reason. Appreciate the help!

Not Sure

#2 Post by Not Sure »

Birth date and dyno runs don't hurt either, if they apply. I remember that was info the poster was disseminating as well.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

It's a 2003 Cannibal. Can't even be close to an FX400 due to they were made in 2001.

[attachment=13892:101.jpg]

Not Sure

#4 Post by Not Sure »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Apr 4 2017, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a 2003 Cannibal. Can't even be close to an FX400 due to they were made in 2001.

[attachment=13892:101.jpg]

Now you really opened a can of worms and confused me. If you go back and reread my OP, the PA state application for title filled out by the dealer has the model listed as FX440 (not FX400). The sales contract from the dealer also has the model as FX440. I assume when the state received the application for title and ... ran the VIN through a database... do they do that?... they figured out the model discrepancy and produced a title that has it as a "CANNIBAL 440". You state it's a 2003 Cannibal, but omit the 440 designation. I have seen photos of "Cannibals" that the graphics decals just say Cannibal... also no 440 designation (it was an old photo of a group ride and the ATV had red plastic). So I guess where I'm going with this is: were there 2 Cannibal models, the 440 and a non-440? Photos I've seen seem to indicate this is accurate. Also, what exactly is the FX? Is FX=Cannibal, or is it some other model?

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Not Sure @ Apr 4 2017, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now you really opened a can of worms and confused me. If you go back and reread my OP, the PA state application for title filled out by the dealer has the model listed as FX440 (not FX400). The sales contract from the dealer also has the model as FX440. I assume when the state received the application for title and ... ran the VIN through a database... do they do that?... they figured out the model discrepancy and produced a title that has it as a "CANNIBAL 440". You state it's a 2003 Cannibal, but omit the 440 designation. I have seen photos of "Cannibals" that the graphics decals just say Cannibal... also no 440 designation (it was an old photo of a group ride and the ATV had red plastic). So I guess where I'm going with this is: were there 2 Cannibal models, the 440 and a non-440? Photos I've seen seem to indicate this is accurate. Also, what exactly is the FX? Is FX=Cannibal, or is it some other model?

There is no model known as a FX440. When Cannondale first brought models out they used the 400 designation, even though the motor is a 432cc (440). They dropped the 400 moniker after the first year of both the motorcycle (MX400) and the quad (FX400). The model year indicator in your VIN shows its a 2003 (3), The Model in the VIN shows its a 2003 Cannibal. Your State messed up the title.

Not Sure

#6 Post by Not Sure »

Well, I guess the actual title is accurate as far as listing the model as "Cannibal", they just added "440" for some reason. I guess no biggie, since it actually IS a Cannibal 440. Thankfully someone at the state caught the dealers mistake, or it would've been model "FX440" on the title, which you say doesn't exist. That might've been a problem. VIN number is accurate on everything as well, which is probably the most important thing. Appreciate all your help, thanks for your replies!