Clutchless shifting? Huh?

Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
Not Sure

#1 Post by Not Sure »

OK, I just watched Wistech's freeride video on Youtube. Right off the bat I noticed there were gear changes happening but the clutch was not being used. Then I scrolled through the comments and saw Wistech address this from another viewers comment about it. Seems like a great idea, but is it safe, especially if you're not a mechanic (like Wistech). How many other Cannondale riders utilize the clutchless shifting technique? Any horror stories?

bigfoot17

#2 Post by bigfoot17 »

Wistech performs magic on a quad. Not sure which video you watched, but clutchless could be Karen's quad. That is something to be seen.
But I'll let Wistech talk about it.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

My wifes quad has the auto clutch and push button shifter. The one in the video is my Speed with the torque monster stroker engine. Clutchless shifting is nothing new and has been done since the invention of the unsynchronised manual transmission. Worst case is the drag quads who shift at full power with no clutch . Maybe some of them have broken a shift collar dog off or bent a fork. I dont recall anyone having it happen. I would say if your worried about then dont do it.

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

The more you get comfortable with riding and now knowing it can be safely done the more you may want to do it.
But as stated there is some risk but fairly minor. I only had one cannondale ransmission gear break once and it was by a guy that did not let the quad warm up at all and might not have pulled the clutch all the way in when he slammed it into gear.
I have ridden them pretty hard with no clutching for years with no problems.
Its a timing thing with a slight let off of the throttle shift it like you mean it especially between first and second and back it in it all you want.
You can even safely down shift without the clutch once you get good at it but a little rev match with the throttle is a good idea.
It is how the racers have been doing it for years... now the supercross guys have rekluse clutches so they dont stall them when they go down but even before that the only time the clutch was used was at the start.

dalewannbe

#5 Post by dalewannbe »

Lift when shift, let off the throttle a bit and shift. That is how ive been doing it for years. My one dale has more xc races than i can count on it.

promod

#6 Post by promod »

QUOTE (Not Sure @ Apr 4 2017, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, I just watched Wistech's freeride video on Youtube. Right off the bat I noticed there were gear changes happening but the clutch was not being used. Then I scrolled through the comments and saw Wistech address this from another viewers comment about it. Seems like a great idea, but is it safe, especially if you're not a mechanic (like Wistech). How many other Cannondale riders utilize the clutchless shifting technique? Any horror stories?

Been riding, racing etc..for many, many years without using the manual clutch on many brand bikes, current and vintage, street and off-road, You just have to learn when and how!...Kinda a technique and art to it!

Really I have no horror stories to tell about doing it that way!

POWER MAD MAN

#7 Post by POWER MAD MAN »

I race MX on my Dale and I never let of the gas when I shift. I only use the clutch for holeshots and I have never had a promblem.