Bring all of your questions about the Cannondale quad here!
factoter

#1 Post by factoter »

I know these questions have been answered but does anyone know how to use the diagnostic tool for the first year cannondale? The link ATK sent me no longer works . I'm have trouble with my quad running rich and I need to calibrate the throttle. Also, anyone have suggestions, or better yet, pics of your airbox mod? The stock box is a pain in the ***!!

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Is your quad a FX400 with the square ECU computer under the front hood? It would have the designation "S500" on it. If so, you can not use the D&M tool to program the computer. You will need a mill tool.

factoter

#3 Post by factoter »

QUOTE (kdeal @ May 22 2017, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is your quad a FX400 with the square ECU computer under the front hood? It would have the designation "S500" on it. If so, you can not use the D&M tool to program the computer. You will need a mill tool.

yup! I found someone selling a mil/euf tool on ebay; he was good enough to scan the manual and email it to me. The tool came with the quad, but I had no idea how to use it . I got it dialed in last night, and hopefully it'll be ready for the long weekend. my other question had to do with eliminating the airbox; what do you do with the vac hose and air sensor if I go with a clamp on uni filter?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

That is a change that is pretty drastic. I'm not sure if you can tune it out with the MIL tool. To do it right, there are a few different people who can sell you a custom air filter base for the UNI to clamp on to. you will find some issues just clamping the UNI directly to the throttle body. The velocity stack in the air box provides a smoothing action to the incoming air. As for the vacuum hose, just use a 2 way connector instead of the tee fitting and eliminate it. As for the sensor, zip tie it to the vent hose going down the right side of the frame and put a small piece of hose over the tip to keep it from getting dirty. Dave Muller AKA Canniboomer in the vendor's section can get you everything you need.

factoter

#5 Post by factoter »

QUOTE (kdeal @ May 22 2017, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is a change that is pretty drastic. I'm not sure if you can tune it out with the MIL tool. To do it right, there are a few different people who can sell you a custom air filter base for the UNI to clamp on to. you will find some issues just clamping the UNI directly to the throttle body. The velocity stack in the air box provides a smoothing action to the incoming air. As for the vacuum hose, just use a 2 way connector instead of the tee fitting and eliminate it. As for the sensor, zip tie it to the vent hose going down the right side of the frame and put a small piece of hose over the tip to keep it from getting dirty. Dave Muller AKA Canniboomer in the vendor's section can get you everything you need.

Thanks for the info. I had it running pretty well with the stock air box, but today, it's backfiring through the throttle body. I can see that the fuel pump is getting a good flow of fuel from the tank, but when I let it idle for about a minute, the fuel pump is very hot. It might be shot. A coworker of mine had an 02 quad, and he used a fuel pump from an 88 ford ranger he got from a junk yard, and he said he worked just as well. I might try that

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (factoter @ May 22 2017, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the info. I had it running pretty well with the stock air box, but today, it's backfiring through the throttle body. I can see that the fuel pump is getting a good flow of fuel from the tank, but when I let it idle for about a minute, the fuel pump is very hot. It might be shot. A coworker of mine had an 02 quad, and he used a fuel pump from an 88 ford ranger he got from a junk yard, and he said he worked just as well. I might try that

Gut the factory disconnects first. They tend to swell on the inside restricting the flow of fuel. You need to take them off the fuel lines and the tank. Drill them out where you are removing the spring and plunger on the inside of the fitting. Then put the fittings back on. It may just fix your problem. You can also take the fittings apart as they are just pressed together. Remove the guts and put them back together.

factoter

#7 Post by factoter »

QUOTE (kdeal @ May 23 2017, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gut the factory disconnects first. They tend to swell on the inside restricting the flow of fuel. You need to take them off the fuel lines and the tank. Drill them out where you are removing the spring and plunger on the inside of the fitting. Then put the fittings back on. It may just fix your problem. You can also take the fittings apart as they are just pressed together. Remove the guts and put them back together.

I'll give it a try, thanks for the help

factoter

#8 Post by factoter »

QUOTE (kdeal @ May 23 2017, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cleaned out the quick connect and fired up the quad; it ran great! It revved up nice without sputtering, then the hose between the injectors burst! I happened to have some high pressure fuel line, so took about fifteen mins to fix. Then I fired it up again, and another line burst! So, more than likely the pump was fuel starved before I cleaned out the connectors. I need to buy more fuel line before I'm confident it's fixed. Thanks again for your help

rayspeed

#9 Post by rayspeed »

Take apart your fuel regulator... It is pretty simple with just a snap ring and there is a spring and a "O" ring and piston of sorts in there... maybe it is just stuck and your pressure is sky high.

factoter

#10 Post by factoter »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ May 24 2017, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take apart your fuel regulator... It is pretty simple with just a snap ring and there is a spring and a "O" ring and piston of sorts in there... maybe it is just stuck and your pressure is sky high.

I'll do that next. The lines I replaced were pretty dried out, and full of cracks, so hopefully that'll be it and I can finally button this thing up and ride it. I only paid $400 bucks for it because it had a bad rod bearing. It came with a new ATK crank and bearings! the previous owner paid more for these parts than I did for the whole quad.