Pistons are in!

theJeStEr1340

#21 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Thanks ******.

Happyboy

#22 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by ******
Gas ports push the rings tighter to the cylender producing the same effects as a "gapless" ring.

I don't think its the same as gapless. In gapless the extra ring seals off the clearance gap on the piston ring. Under normal wear that gap would get larger but the extra ring keeps it sealed even under wear.

Now the gas porting from what I understand has more to do with higher rpm operations. Under high rpms the rings will "flutter" allowing blowby. The gas porting forces the rings in place elliminating the "flutter". They also usually require special rings so they will be difference than the rings we are used to seeing?

Something else I have read is the porting reducing ring life. Now, when they talk about short ring life in a car its usually alot longer than our quad life. So I don't guess it would be an issue. Lastly is the carbon build up on the gas ports.

Timbo, are these lateral or vertical ports? Reason I ask is the vertical ones are said to clog up easier.

So will we still get "flutter" with a gapless ring setup? I couldn't really find out.