Calling out TIMBO!

thedeatons

#1 Post by thedeatons »

Made ya look!!! LOL

Timbo, I am looking for a solution to the dirtbike intake tract. I plan to run a Timbo ported 450 in the Super Single (E440 frame), and I need something like the Cyclone to flow enough air to make the great power that engine did in my quad (51.8hp). My friends have a mandrel bent 90 degree tube with a cone filter on the end mated to a stock head for a Stage 1 style mod on their dirtbikes, but the tubing is not as big as the Cyclone.

My initial thoughts were to get a 45 degree boot between the throttle body and the head, allowing for an easier filter attachment. My second thought was mounting the radiator in the rear up under the tailsection. Since this will be a streetbike there will be no problem with debris if it is guarded correctly. I still don't really want to do that.

HOW CAN WE GET A HIGH FLOW INTAKE ON THE DIRTBIKES!?!?!?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Not sure where I heard it but someone has a dual radiator setup.Allows lots of room for air.

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

Okay, let's see it...

Easy E

#4 Post by Easy E »

Canniboomer was working on (perhaps completed?) a pod filter setup for the bikes that eliminates the airbox completely. There should be plenty of flow as air can be drawn from below and above the frame.

thedeatons

#5 Post by thedeatons »

Ya, the airbox elimation is what my friends did also, and threw a pod filter in there on a 90 degree mandrel bent 2.5"(I believe) section of tubing.

The problem is that doesn't help if we have a Timbo ported head and are in need of a Cyclone setup for the increased flow requirement....

Any pictures would be good though. Maybe we can all hash this out.

Still waiting to see a 505cc dirtbike rocking through the dunes...

timbomoose

#6 Post by timbomoose »

Haven't done alot of dyno testing on the dirt bikes.Best thing to do is dyno with the seat on and off to see if any difference.Next would be to take off the air box completely and try with just velocity stack on.This would tell you if the box itself is restrictive.Watch the afr and see if it changes if it does tune for it if more power is gained then a pod filter can be used.Put the seat back on and see if it changes again.If using a pod filter should make a shield to block engine heat. always wanted to play with the bikes more but haven't had time as of yet.From the dynoing I've done on the bikes the newer 02 -03 pipe is much better than the 01 earley 02 pipe used on the mx400 and x440s.If you really want to get the power out of it a dual exhuast should be good for a minumum of 2hp could and probably would be more.Pod filters are easy to get pretty much any size you need.The bigger filter the better it will breath.If going through a tube goe as big dia. as posible and as long of a bend as posible.Mandrel bent is definately the way to go.If I get some time the next couple weeks I pull out the bike and see what I can come up with.

thedeatons

#7 Post by thedeatons »

Okay, sounds good. I just need to know how to fit some type of Cyclone in there for your portjob.