Ohlins Shock Mod

MichiganMXer722

#11 Post by MichiganMXer722 »

I just went out and looked at mine, picked up the rear end, and sure enough the chain binds:mad: I'm going to call John and see what he says, i have yet to ride mine but i'm pretty sure i dont want to now!:confused:

cdalemx301

#12 Post by cdalemx301 »

Shock it self doesnt look 2 and a 1/2 inches longer if you noticed the bump stop looks like it has been cut down a bit as well so maybe more travel has been found inside the shock not necassarily outside the shock? Does this make sense? I dont know if it does

MichiganMXer722

#13 Post by MichiganMXer722 »

I just talked to John, i'm shipping my shock back to get it fixxed. I guess mine has a longer shaft then the other ones he has done this mod too. The swingarm is barely touching the chain to bind it up so it won't need much work i wouldn't think!

The shock itself isn't 2.5 inches longer, although it is longer by a bit. I guess its hard to tell you how he gets more travel from it i'm not the shock expert.

cdaleman440

#14 Post by cdaleman440 »

but then wouldent a 14 tooth front sproket fix that? just my .2 cents

MichiganMXer722

#15 Post by MichiganMXer722 »

Originally posted by cdaleman440
but then wouldent a 14 tooth front sproket fix that? just my .2 cents

i'm running a 14t front and it binds

PerryMMS

#16 Post by PerryMMS »

The shock only has to be about 21-25mm longer for it to add about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 inches more of travle. You have to remember that the shock is not at the end of the swing arm. The shock only has to move alittle for the wheels at the other end of the swing arm to move alot.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

There is some room to move the roller down a little also if its really what you want.

haydug

#18 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by cannondale27
There is some room to move the roller down a little also if its really what you want.

Actually after checking for myself, not sure there is room to move it. I have noticed a couple of frames showing signs of chain rub on the frame itself. I think a smaller roller would let the chain hit the frame for sure.
Good catch Chance! As you can see, John is fixing the problem, no queastions asked. Can't ask for anything better than that.

JohnMX-TECH

#19 Post by JohnMX-TECH »

We appreciate all of the help. Good job to everyone here to bring this issue to light.

We have revised our modification to lengthen the shock 7 millimeters. This will give us almost 1 inch more of wheel travel, but not the 2.5" we were looking to acheive.

Cannondale27, I was looking at that option, but we still need to modify the frame right underneath the chain. What do you beleive it would take to modify the frame without compromising the strength?

Doug sent took time out of his busy schedule and sent us some pics showing where the roller is pinching the chain.

Regards, John

JohnMX-TECH

#20 Post by JohnMX-TECH »

Here is a pic that Doug took for us.