Canniboomer Direct Intake

cannondale27

#31 Post by cannondale27 »

My guess is they would be same on dyno.Flowbench K&N would have edge.With UNI amount of oil on filter would probably also affect flow.The solid top of K&N would affect the airflow -vs-foam.So that may show up.

wanablaze

#32 Post by wanablaze »

Personally, I'm a little weary of the K&N type filters. I've seen a "dusted" Powerstroke before: OUCH!

Personally, I believe that the foam is better for protection. The hp difference between the two is probably negligable, although I haven't been able to compare the two fairly.

I'd like to see what you guys find out.

badvox

#33 Post by badvox »

Originally posted by wanablaze
Personally, I'm a little weary of the K&N type filters.  I've seen a "dusted" Powerstroke before: OUCH!

Personally, I believe that the foam is better for protection.  The hp difference between the two is probably negligable, although I haven't been able to compare the two fairly.  

I could be wrong but doesn't no toil make a standard filter just like the UNI pod? Im pretty sure ive seen it in my catalog.
Im gonna check and see because Im really happy with their product.

mike

cannondale27

#34 Post by cannondale27 »

Originally posted by wanablaze
Personally, I'm a little weary of the K&N type filters.  I've seen a "dusted" Powerstroke before: OUCH!

Personally, I believe that the foam is better for protection.  The hp difference between the two is probably negligable, although I haven't been able to compare the two fairly.  

I agree.But the K&N does have some areas where it actually works better like in sand.Cover a foam filter in sand and it is ruined since all the particles get trapped in the cells of outer layer.Now in fine dust situations the dust coats the K&N even with a prefilter on.That dust sucks the oil right out of the filter and then can get through.If running in sand I would run a K&N anywhere with dust that hangs in air Foam.

Canniboomer

#35 Post by Canniboomer »

For sure, neither of these should be used without an Outerwear. They prevent the sand from ruining either filter. Sand and debris tends to fall away, and can't reach the foam of the UNI or delicate cotton mesh of the K&N.
As for restricting the flow, I don't think it matters much at all. You can watch the filter while revving the motor, and the Outerwear does not pucker in, like it would if it was starving the air.

CptHook

#36 Post by CptHook »

huh, I wonder how I missed this...

aroracer72

#37 Post by aroracer72 »

Yeah,
Ive been having getting my new stroker running,(haydug 250r conversion dale), but not quite shure its the intake system. When i get my quad running perfect(using an O2 sensor), i will be posting the settings required to compensate for it, and also a special map most likely. So keep a look out in spring for my special map for a
*piped, 468 stroker, canniboomer intake, engine map*
And for those who have porting all youd need to do is tweak the injector settings.
CHAD

TricityCdale

#38 Post by TricityCdale »

For those that are concerned about running through water with this setup, I have race tested it. It works pretty darn good. I did have one instance when blazing through a nasty puddle that caused the outerwear to be covered in enough muck that I lost high rpm's for a few seconds, but it apparently ran off the outerwear, and it was on like Donkey Kong!

I would highly recommend Dave's setup. It worked way better in the muck than I ever expected. And, like he said, a little creativity and the mud problem would go away completely.

Here is a pic of my quad after the race. It was 4, seven mile laps of pure clay-muck.

TricityCdale

#39 Post by TricityCdale »

Here's another.

Canniboomer

#40 Post by Canniboomer »

WARNING! These are my comments after a follow-up report from TricityCdale, in a phone call tonight:

The above pics were from the first day of sticky mud racing, and he observed heavy caking of mud around the steering stem and laying on the front- top of filter. After an exterior washdown, and without pulling the plastic, he raced again the following day.
Conditions were even worse then, with more sloshing, very slippery, etc, and plenty of crap coming over the hood. He eventually sucked moisture into the intake, and silty fine clay came with it!. The filter was oiled rather lightly, and had become totally saturated, with the constant suction eventually pulling in the fine silt -- yuck! It managed to eventually foul the throttle body and probably coated the entire combustion chamber.

THESE DIRECT-MOUNTS WON"T WORK IN THESE CONDITIONS WITHOUT SOME EXTRA SHROUDING TO PREVENT TOP AND FRONTAL IMPACT TO THE FILTER WITH WET MUD, ETC.

I was thinking about having a shroud curtain that would attach to the tankcover plastic. I'll look into that sooner now. As these are installed now, Jeff's outing proves these are not suitable for wet racing or roosting conditions., without some added protection.