Canniboomer Direct Intake

cannondale27

#41 Post by cannondale27 »

Man most dont talk about it but I can guarantee that even the stock setup will suck water and crud in if abused.Be honest how many of you guys have taken apart stock airbox and seen the telltale water line or dirt stains.I have.Last time was that fall ride.Had too go blasting through DEEP water holes in fifth gear.When I took my stock airbox apart at one time there was over a inch of water in there as evidenced from the waterline.May have caused my intake valves to get tight even.

TricityCdale

#42 Post by TricityCdale »

Just so everyone knows, I chalk this up mostly to my laziness. It was a two day race and day one was pretty bad. The pictures I posted were taken after day one. All I did was wash the mud off of the plastic and race again the next day. It rained all that night as well. The second day was worse. Alot more standing water and clay soup.

I think that if I had not been so lazy/stupid, and would have taken the filter off after the first day, it wouldn't have been nearly so bad. My guess is that the filter got wet with the combination of race one and washing. Once it was wet, it was like a tent in the rain and the next day with the combination of very wet conditions and the intake suction, it just sucked in a bunch of very fine clay. I think that if I had cleaned/replaced the filter with a new, freshly oiled one, it wouldn't have been so bad.

However, I agree that the stock airbox definately provides better protection in those kinds of situations. I have gotten slight amounts of muddy water drops in my stock airbox though. Nothing major though.

I'm going to tear the motor down this weekend and see what the damage is. I'm chalking it up to me being lazy, and testing under "extreme race conditions". I still don't think I will go back to the stock airbox. This set up is so much easier and convenient. I just think it needs a little more care and protection in very wet, muddy conditions.

For a 6-hour mud race though, I would definately go with the stock box.

cannondale27

#43 Post by cannondale27 »

Derno I am not fibbing.It was stupid of me to hit water like that.Front end was totally under water.Most dont talk about the fact that there is dust or water marks in box sometimes.I am not saying stock airbox isnt best setup for protection I have ever seen.I think it is.Just saying that water can get in.Also agree the airhorn would keep most out if you stop and drain airbox.But I didnt.Was having too much fun!

azcannon

I am here for you man

#44 Post by azcannon »

TRI CITY DALE ,I will give you 2 stock airboxes ,and 2 uni's, and 1 or 2 k &n's, and a short airhorn for your old dirty caniboomer set up just to help you out, I am here for you man.

TricityCdale

#45 Post by TricityCdale »

LOL! Not a chance!tongue.gif

Besides, I kept my stocker.........just in case!

azcannon

#46 Post by azcannon »

Think it through Man..... your being rash .

Canniboomer

#47 Post by Canniboomer »

Originally posted by TricityCdale
Just so everyone knows, I chalk this up mostly to my laziness.  

Lazy?... no way! You guys that race these marathons in bootcamp conditions are a tough-as-nails bunch. It probably took hours to just peel off your gear! What you need out there are some racing groupies, or pit crew slaves. I'll look forward to volunteering one of these times, but will probably pick an Arizona race when it's dry and 70 degrees! <------ now That's lazy!

T-Rex

Dave's filter set-up

#48 Post by T-Rex »

Well I installed mine and it works great. Did not have to change anything, I think mine was running rich anyway with the stock filter set-up. Boy this thing pulls hard......smile.gif

acarli3

#49 Post by acarli3 »

last time I asked about the filter setup you were in the process of making some modifications. I am assuming your are satisfied with the setup now. Does the intake setup address what to do with the breather tube and air temp sensor? Does it come with something to attach to the breather and a place to now install the temp sensor? Also, can you PM me the price for the setup with K&N and outerwear?
-Thanks

GDITheman

#50 Post by GDITheman »

i just ordered one. looks like a quality product. i look forward to putting it on the quad. i don't even want the added HP since my 468 has a lot of yank. i just wanted to lose that crappy air box that is such a hassle.