Oil Sightglass Upgrade

Canniboomer

Oil Sightglass Upgrade

#1 Post by Canniboomer »

I am bringing these in from the same German supplier as the Magnetic tranny plugs.

shotblast hard aluminum alloy
viton seal in a captive recess -- non marring
high temp to 400F
high pressure capability
quality glass lens, and tightening of nut does not affect the separate glass seal
heavy sharpedge brass backnut for good bite, stays tight
precision threads, metric sized, needs good 21mm hole.

Really a very nice product to upgrade an older sidecover.
forum price $21 plus $4 shipping... paypal.
pacrimdm@msn.com

also see on ebay

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

another pic from backside.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Wish we could mount one of those in the frame.Cool find though.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Actually, these are thread-in rated from the outside without a backing nut, but they suggest a tapped thickness of at least 4mm and a nearly flat seal surface -- our sidecovers are about 3mm.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

The left side casting near where the drain is would qualify if you milled a slight flat.Right where I put one of my screw in magnets I dont know if I want that big a hole there though.Strength wise.By the way I forgot to tell you great job on the flywheel!

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

Great, thanks.
One size smaller is available, for a 17mm clearance hole... I should bring in a few for testing, and get some taps to match.
The fill-check hole on the X440s I have has a broader flat flange
and weld around it, maybe good for drill & tap there, and already at the correct oil level.

jfarrar

#8 Post by jfarrar »

canniboomer will these work with coolant?i have a walsh alluminum coolant bottle and this would work great for checking coolant with out pulling the cap.if so i'll take one or two

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

Yes, coolants or oils, anything liquid.

But for a coolant bottle, you may prefer a different item here.... a slick bar-style column indicator that mounts vertical 10mm x 76mm on-center holes (about 3"), about a 1x4" housing with double viton seals each post -- if you can reach in with the lockwashers and backnuts to install it, this one will give a read-out range of 2 vertical inches. Mounts quite flush, will stick out only 3/4" from surface. Very high quality, clear lexan-type sealed lens housing, suitable for a nuclear facility! European import.
$30 plus 4 ship -- maybe better your application.

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

..id like to see something for the frame oil,been racking my brain for months on trying to come up with something.
..I have an oil style side cover,i just drilled out the plug level and got something like what you have here and just screwed it in.