Canniboomer Direct Intake

banzairx7

#81 Post by banzairx7 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Jun 8 2006, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well our regulator is hooked up incorrectly .(according to the way all other efi systems are designed)

My early post pointed out that many new cars do not use vacuum to regulate fuel pressure. The Honda K series engines is one that pops to mind. I believe the Ford focus doesn't use vacuum either. They have a returnless system where fuel pressure is adjusted partly by a regulator and partly by adjusting the fuel pump voltage.

wistech

#82 Post by wistech »

My bad . Substitute most for all. LOL

jinx44

#83 Post by jinx44 »

I just picked up a canniboomer intake from Timbo.

From what I gather from experience and this thread:

#1. Just leave the line to the MAP sensor open?

#2. The line to the regulator is just needed to vent?

#3. Just find a place to tie the IAT up?

Canniboomer

#84 Post by Canniboomer »

I had been including a different 4-way vacuum lines connector with the intake kits, and new elevated lines, etc..... as I was wanting to retain the OEM air line setup per 2003 models. BUT, I have since abandoned that,.... for a few reasons:

1. No real vacuum was ever pulled for the fuel regulator anyway, even in the stock airbox - so either capping or venting that line is the same result = nothing.
2. I have seen oil that can purge from the Sidecover completely saturate the interconnected air lines,... and then ruin an ECU!....yep, Gear oil into the ECU from a motor problem,...and an ECU suddenly quit working!
3. I have been concerned that interconnected lines could confuse accurate Barometric pressure readings by the ECU anyway.... like if the sidecover was throwing oil out, or instead losing oil into the crankcase, or maybe a line gets some oil pooled in a low spot to affect the atmosphere reading.

Also, I haven't liked the sidecover just venting to the ground fully open either, for the risk of possible water or dust intake,.... or not being able to detect a spewing problem.

ANYWAY, new kits are getting a separate vent-filter end for the ECU. And, a separate vent-filter end for the sidecover -- that one also utilizes your stock oil catch cup from the old airbox. New lines and mount thingies are provided.
Also, I am now including a quality fitting, a nifty drill-tap that does a great job with just a variable speed drill, and a line for connection of vacuum from the Throttle Body. A silicone cap is also provided, in case you elect to just cap off the vacuum nipple at the regulator. Pulling vacuum for leaner idle and off-idle is Optional your choice, but I'm providing the nifty fitting anyway for you to choose. Continued R&D is peacemeal on that subject. But since practically every fuel regulator in the world has a vacuum nipple, and since Cannondale did not just cap it off,... perhaps we should give it a real test and plumb for real vacuum as intended. Or, you can use your new fitting for a Nitrous inlet!...instead...you can choose.

I'll have the various items available separately also, and not expensive -- I just haven't got around to all of that yet, or to contacting past customers of the intake, to suggest they may want to go with a "separated" setup that really makes more sense.

I'll try to post more pics later. But here is the TB vacuum port for now. Don't pay any attention to the large hoseclamp in this pic --I had just mocked up a Dirtbike Cyclone 90 adapter for thedeatons.

thedeatons

#85 Post by thedeatons »

That Cyclone adapter works GREAT Dave!

My dirtbike achieved the same hp as my friend Janell's quad with an open filter/Cyclone combo.

Canniboomer

#86 Post by Canniboomer »

Cool,... good news!

Here are a couple of more pics of the ATV sidecover vent, with examples of location -- it can go anywhere, but you'll find it handy to keep visible for inspection, and easy to reach.

speedracer

#87 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Aug 7 2008, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool,... good news!

Here are a couple of more pics of the ATV sidecover vent, with examples of location -- it can go anywhere, but you'll find it handy to keep visible for inspection, and easy to reach.

What would cause oil to spew out of the sidecover vent?Oil over fill?

cannondale27

#88 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes or a rollover.Rest of causes are bad.Like cracked case.

Canniboomer have you tried this?I see you are infact getting vacuum.Are you running into lean issues at partial throttle?Putting vacuum to regulator would make it run lean since pressure will be lowered.Cool little fitting you found though.

Canniboomer

#89 Post by Canniboomer »

I have used a vacuum port on a dune Glamis for a couple of years by now. It was the 450 quad I bought from Jordy - Utah, and I soon found evidence of him running a secret Nitrous bottle! (shame on Jordy,.. King of the hillclimb for all of those years he ran that machine!...HA!.... and nobody ever knew!... good for him). Anyway, all of the Nitrous setup was gone except for a leftover relay, empty mounting holes, wires, and the mysterious line feeding the throttle body (plugged off). I found that the small inlet fitting to the TB was betow the throttle plate,..... so I instead used that fitting to hook vacuum directly to the fuel regulator. That machine was simple to tune, and has run fine ever since. But, I don't recall what specific adjustsments were made, if any. A custom map was not done for it...

I thought it was safe to pull some vacuum at idle or down low off-idle in the plug-fouling zone, and when installing a direct intake that normally gets an overall fuel boost of 5% or so at the same time. I don't think any significant vacuum is present at the mid rpms and higher, but like you Steve....... I am still curious. I have not tee-d off of that line to hook up a temporary vacuum gauge yet -- that would give us a great indication of at what throttle % the vacuum effect actually dissipates.

claas900

#90 Post by claas900 »

Years ago if I remember right I hooked a hand vacuum pump to the ECU and I don't remember what I got it up to but the bike was running and it killed the bike LOL. And then I read later in the trouble shooting book that to much vacuum could damage the ECU ops. LOL Who knows maybe vacuum will get ride of the Cdale dip?