Canniboomer Direct Intake

cannondale27

#91 Post by cannondale27 »

Simple enough test.Just concerned that people who ride at idle or very small throttle openings are going to be running lean.I know getting older some of the trails at club I ride are just a challenge to get through(single track bike trails)Often am pulling clutch in to go slow enough.Or if your stuck behind a Beer Wagon!

Sensor is very accurate D&M will show change.

wistech

#92 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Aug 9 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would cause oil to spew out of the sidecover vent?Oil over fill?

Overheated foaming oil or the more common crankcase pressure entering the tranny. Presure test time.

speedracer

#93 Post by speedracer »

I dont think its overheating,the oil is not foaming.When I got the quad,I pulled all the plastic to clean it well,checked the oil,it did not show on the dipstick so I added until it was correct (I now know NOT to trust the dipstick).After that I took it out to ride,it was spraying oil out of the vent tube,only at full throttle.I have not fiddled with it yet thinking that I just overfilled oil.If the case is craked wouldnt it leak oil from the crack?I have not ridden it sence,but I start it regularly it still spits oil but not as much as before.I will drain the oil and add the correct amount to see what happens.Fingers crossed!

wistech

#94 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Aug 10 2008, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think its overheating,the oil is not foaming.When I got the quad,I pulled all the plastic to clean it well,checked the oil,it did not show on the dipstick so I added until it was correct (I now know NOT to trust the dipstick).After that I took it out to ride,it was spraying oil out of the vent tube,only at full throttle.I have not fiddled with it yet thinking that I just overfilled oil.If the case is craked wouldnt it leak oil from the crack?I have not ridden it sence,but I start it regularly it still spits oil but not as much as before.I will drain the oil and add the correct amount to see what happens.Fingers crossed!

The case could be cracked inside abave the oil level or one of the miraid of orings could could have been mispalced during assembly. Loose cartridge plate. All can blast crankcase pressur einto the tranny and out the vent hose without exchanging fluids. Pressure feed lines that leak will however dump engine oil into the tranny .
Unless the tranny oil is foaming(unlikey unless drag racing) you have a air leak into the tranny . You can easily pressure test the case on the machine just by applying 5psi of air to the engine breather hose and checking the tranny vent hose for air coming out. Sticking it in a cup of water and checking for bubbles. Just a few minutes to do.

speedracer

#95 Post by speedracer »

The vent Im talking about is a nipple ontop of the sidecover (shifter side) next to the valve cover.The hose runs down the frame and is ziptied near the fuel filter.Is that the same vent tube your are talking about?On the 03 that tube runs into a tee fitting.This is an 02.Should it vent to a tee also,or is that tube even a vent?

Canniboomer

#96 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 10 2008, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....Often am pulling clutch in to go slow enough. Or if your stuck behind a Beer Wagon!

Behind a beer wagon?.... hmmn I guess we could use even more plumbing!, like a recoil quick-connect -- with mouthpiece! rolleyes.gif

The ECU is vented to atmosphere, same as before, as with any of the various direct intakes. I have just started to isolate that with a similar filter end, to let it breathe cleanly (no big deal, and not pictured). But if that line were connected direct to real TB vacuum, you have to wonder if the machine would even start or be able to keep running -- as if in outer space for pressure, with a barometer reading of less than zero at idle.

Canniboomer

#97 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Aug 10 2008, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The vent Im talking about is a nipple ontop of the sidecover (shifter side) next to the valve cover.The hose runs down the frame and is ziptied near the fuel filter.Is that the same vent tube your are talking about? On the 03 that tube runs into a tee fitting.This is an 02.Should it vent to a tee also,or is that tube even a vent?

Cannondale ran that line into a 4-way fitting in 2003, probably to be legal, as to never drip a drop on the ground... But with a direct intake, there is no airbox to contain any spitting from that sidecover line. And per reasons stated above, it is better to keep that line separate anyway per 2002 models and earlier. The filter-end and use of a catch cup is just something to help you detect a problem, and to have that line breathe cleanly... and to help you get a sense of how severe any puking from that side is, or if coolant is mixed with the oil. But, if you are indeed puking from that side, it needs to be checked out. A leaky oil bridge seal (or the two bridge O-rings) can be replaced by only removing the clutch cover -- but other causes will likely require a motor drop.