Fuel lines

wanablaze

#1 Post by wanablaze »

Hey Dave,
Hope this helps. If not, I can always cut the lines to proper length.

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

OK, I see the setup clearly, and will prep the tank accordingly. Thanks for the pics!

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

Do you mind if I ask questions in your thread???

What is the REAL advantage to relocation of the fuel pump... People have mentioned lower fuel temps, but frankly we have not yet had any problems with that on our quads.... It does not seem easier to access, because it is now located under the fender.... Any ideas?

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

It does get it away from behind the radiator witch gets very hot. Though I think the biggest reason is to clean up the engine bay. I moved mine under the ECU try in front of the steering stem. It????????s a very tight fit but it????????s out of the way and if anything gets colder air there. And when you think about it how often do you really mess with your fuel pump? I know I never have.

Psychosis

#5 Post by Psychosis »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Mar 10 2007, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It does get it away from behind the radiator witch gets very hot. Though I think the biggest reason is to clean up the engine bay. I moved mine under the ECU try in front of the steering stem. It????????s a very tight fit but it????????s out of the way and if anything gets colder air there. And when you think about it how often do you really mess with your fuel pump? I know I never have.

I plan to remount mine during the current rebuild but I actually have had to mess w/the fuel pump before, even on the starting line once. Granted that problem would've have happened had it been in a safer place though. (Track worker helping me tighten some stuff up dropped a mallot on one of the wires and broke it off so had to cut wire and redo it in seconds.) I think it's mainly a good thing to do to keep it out of harm's way more than keep it cool. Cooling hasn't been an issue as said, but that's just one less assembly that can be hit by a limb, stick, etc.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

The ideal situation is to move the pump below the lowest level of the tank. This type of pump is not designed to be pulling fuel up above tank level. But it can as long as it doesnt lose prime. The pump uses a metal gerotor assembly and needs 100percent fuel in it to prevent wear. As far as cooling the fuel flowing through the pump cools it off. I have had a situation once(low speed pit riding) when even the fuel in the tank got so hot the pump was cavitating and mounting it higher than stock would have made the situation worse. I could hear the fuel boiling in the tank and has to wait 20 minutes for it to cool down. That was a one time deal.
The only serious issue I have with mounting the pump outside the frame is crash protection. Some of us know what happens to ecu trays in certain crashes. Maybe under the ecu tray in front of the radiator would be ideal for everything including looks.

thedeatons

#7 Post by thedeatons »

Intersting replies.... I had to work on my fuel pump once in the desert, when the wires came loose and arched; discharging my battery... I ended up having to retighten the fuel pump, and because of its stock location did not have to remove the front fender.... I suppose as long as I am not having problems I will leave it alone.... I think our flywheels are a bigger issue... I am going to be working on a titanium ECU tray here soon, to get rid of all that stock plastic junk up there, and will post pictures. This shorty tray will also give better access to the relay, that tends to get sand clogged and make the bie run intermittently (due to the electrical system attempting to bypass the relay everytime it loses electrical contact).

GDITheman

#8 Post by GDITheman »

I put mine the same place Jeff Stoess put his, mounted under the seat behind the fuel tank on the subframe. Easy access. Should keep it cooler and not as high as the ecu tray location. If it worked for Jeff for a season and it's worked for me for 2 seasons, then I think it works well.

ACEwrench

#9 Post by ACEwrench »

that's the same place we used to put them...it worked well, but what i ended up doing is just spacing the mounting bracket out with a little custom aluminum spacer. in hindsight i could have just budded up 2 tophat washers and achived the same effect.ive never had a problem with the boiling fuel even in my desert heat...