Talon Sprockets

ozarkdaler

#11 Post by ozarkdaler »

I never could get a SideWinder to last on a dirt bike. My own experience. That was years ago though. They claim on the website that they are long lasting though. Anything is better than Sun Star. I do not even know if they are in business.

Psychosis

#12 Post by Psychosis »

Weird opinions you'll hear from everyone. I had Sidewinder stuff and it didn't last at all. Since then I've been using Sunstar and Talon sprockets and never had a problem. The Sunstars I've had have lasted me a long time. I still have a Sunstar that has been ran off/on for about 3yrs in the rear. Great experiences w/Talon on the front though and have all three sizes listed above. Also depends on if you correctly adjust/lube your chain. Too tight/too loose will hurt your sprockets bad. Even just a little off can do so as I've found out before.

And as for chains. I've only used two different chains in 3yrs from RK. Correct adjustment/lubrication and those things last forever. Not one break and only switched b/c they sent me a new one under sponsorship. High quality there compared to the DID's I've broke more times than I can count. And I use non o-ring chains too.

ozarkdaler

#13 Post by ozarkdaler »

I remember I had a couple of Sun Stars on a YZ 250 and they lasted for about 2 months each. It was a long time ago so maybe I just had some bad ones.

wanablaze

#14 Post by wanablaze »

I've bought Sidewinder from Krause in the past. I will never do so again. The stuff was expensive. The Ti-moly sprockets were much heavier than the talon aluminum sprockets. The chain wore out right away. The sprockets probably would have lasted a long time, but since they use a "special" (sidewinder) chain and masterlink, I said screw it. I wasn't going to buy another expensive chain that requires lots of prep to use, especially since it was robbing a bit of power. I've since bought a new chain and use the talon sprockets. They last a long time for how light they are.

wistech

#15 Post by wistech »

I have never seen any chain or sprocket that worked as well as the stock cannondale talons with regina chain. Not even close.
Some of these manufacturers are just plain liars. I waited for six months for a special aluminum rear sprocket advertised as being the best by I think it was LA gear. It lasted 3 rides before the teeth hooked and started to break off. 3 rides. Ive had similar results with sunstar. My stock dale sprockets made it nearly 7,000 miles and I only changed them because i was getting nervous. They had very little wear.
Im sticking with proven quality .

wanablaze

#16 Post by wanablaze »

Boomer,
I hope you'll be able to get more of these in the future! I only have a couple of each...
wanablaze

kenny mariscott

#17 Post by kenny mariscott »

I do really value everyones opinion but, isn't titanium supposed to be stronger that steel and only weigh about 1/3 as much? I would expect to hear stories about how the aluminum sprockets don't last because I had them before, they are light and you can get them in cool anodized colors but you use them a half dozen times and it's time for a new one. Once I get it tomorrow or early next week I will know how heavy this stuff really is compared to stock and if anyone cares I could post weight differences. Then after a few rides I think I will know if it was a waste or not.

offroadfan

#18 Post by offroadfan »

How much are the rear sprockets?

wistech

#19 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (kenny mariscott @ Oct 25 2007, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do really value everyones opinion but, isn't titanium supposed to be stronger that steel and only weigh about 1/3 as much? I would expect to hear stories about how the aluminum sprockets don't last because I had them before, they are light and you can get them in cool anodized colors but you use them a half dozen times and it's time for a new one.

Well see here is where I was all worried also . Every single aluminum sprocket I had ever used up until the stock Talons were total garbage. Somehow Talon got the heat treating and alloy just right where everyone elses had failed. This is why i am going to stick with them and to heck taking chances with any other brand.
When it comes to sprockets its not really about strength ,its about wear resistance. Titanium (in general ) is a very good wear resistant material. Now if the company that makes the sprocket got the right alloy that can handle dirt ,water,mud and every other contaminant to work with the grinding action of the chain it might last forever. Or maybe they just lazer cut the sprockets out of a any old Titanium plate and put no effort at all into R@D. Unless you find some feedback on them from other customers you might be throwing some serious cash right out the window. Personally I wouldnt believe anything any sprocket company says in thier ads.

wanablaze

#20 Post by wanablaze »

QUOTE (kenny mariscott @ Oct 25 2007, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do really value everyones opinion but, isn't titanium supposed to be stronger that steel and only weigh about 1/3 as much? I would expect to hear stories about how the aluminum sprockets don't last because I had them before, they are light and you can get them in cool anodized colors but you use them a half dozen times and it's time for a new one. Once I get it tomorrow or early next week I will know how heavy this stuff really is compared to stock and if anyone cares I could post weight differences. Then after a few rides I think I will know if it was a waste or not.

If this was the case, wouldn't you expect to see all the pro's running sidewinder? I thought it was kind of strange that Sidewinder wasn't very popular when I ordered my stuff. After my experience, now I know why.