Flathead Bolts in the Motor?

claas900

#1 Post by claas900 »

When we where on the phone today talking about the torx bolts this is what I was talking about doing. Man I hate thos torx's bolts. I also talked to Tim and he seems to think it will be ok. I remember seeing something like this when I was a kid working with my dad on something.

Kuma

#2 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Mar 24 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When we where on the phone today talking about the torx bolts this is what I was talking about doing. Man I hate thos torx's bolts. I also talked to Tim and he seems to think it will be ok. I remember seeing something like this when I was a kid working with my dad on something.

that's a pretty good idea Patrick!

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

Yeah tho's dang torx. All I did was get a tapered 5mm bolt and drill it out. I did it on a lathe but I'm sure could be done with a hand drill.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

LOL,.....Yep, those bolts are a pain, and its a good idea smile.gif.

But beware!..... the right side bolt does not have enough clearance for a thicker head.
The clutch basket gear skims very close to that bolt,.... you will soon find out sad.gif.

But you can do that for the left bottom bolt.

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Mar 24 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL,.....Yep, those bolts are a pain, and it's a good idea smile.gif.

But beware!..... the right side bolt does not have enough clearance for a thicker head.
The clutch basket gear skims very close to that bolt,.... you will soon find out sad.gif.

But you can do that for the left bottom bolt.

Aww I was wondering about that,but I forgot to look at it. I'm sure I would have cough it when putting it tougher. wink.gif

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

These are along the same idea, and for the same reason to replace some bolts we love to hate.

The Flatheads have been replaced with standard capscrews of the same length, and using NordLocks in the countersinks. The camlocks still take a bite and give a slightly recessed bed for the thicker boltheads. They have performed just fine there with the same loctite. The boltheads clear the sidecover.

And note for the top idler bolt, you never have to take it off again,...... unless you are replacing the shaft. All of the shaft components will slip on and off.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I think the worst thing about those countersunk bolts we have is they are plated with a different coating almost chrome.Loctite doesnt work as well unless everything is absolutely clean.Other than that and the fact if tightened too much you will crack the cover they work.I just use a torquebit in a 1/4 socket so they can be tightened plenty tight.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

You can change them out with allen head Flathead bolts.