Spun it in Moto 2...

wayneschofield

#11 Post by wayneschofield »

Hello again all......

Work has got a little quieter now so I should be able to start parting some magnets from the spun stock flywheels I have here.

There was a small aspect of the 2nd prototype that I wasn't happy with but it seems that so far it's holding up anyway.

On another plus-side, Sterling is worth nothing now compared to USD and the Euro so they should cost less to make here than they would have done before when a Pound was worth two Bucks or so.

claas900

#12 Post by claas900 »

I got the Flywheel from Dachshund, I think he make a file for it to copy?

Dachshund

#13 Post by Dachshund »

Yep I had a CAD file drawn up so whenever we get the green light we can start production. I haven't bugged claas900 as I knew he would let us know when he felt it had enough torture or broke, plus he busted himself up the first of the year too. Good to hear it is holding up well. I would hate to pull the trigger too soon. What say Yall?

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

I say if it makes it through Classes season which is just starting now.About 5 or so should be made for beta testing.I will buy one if I can affordeven though I have never spun a flywheel.

UpsMan

#15 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 20 2010, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I say if it makes it through Classes season which is just starting now.About 5 or so should be made for beta testing.I will buy one if I can affordeven though I have never spun a flywheel.

I can't understand how you of all people have never spun a flywheel. You need to install that motor you got yesterday and run it. I spun three with that motor. I bet you will spin one then!! If not, something weird is up.

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

I have never cracked a case like yours either.I still question why some spin and some dont.Maybe the cases were made off center for cartridge plate to flywheel side bearing.Anyway.Yes I will run the piss out of that motor till it spins a flywheel or case is cracked so bad I cant keep oil in it!If I dont spin one I will give riding lessons tongue.gif

2000ex

#17 Post by 2000ex »

Again I think it is a combination of running on surfaces like sand and riding style that does them in. If you are constantly clutching it like a 2 stroke that will do them in. I ride pretty hard however don't fan the clutch constantly. I have yet to spin one and I think TIMBO who rides pretty hard and has some monster motors has not spun one either.

wayneschofield

#18 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ Nov 21 2010, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep I had a CAD file drawn up so whenever we get the green light we can start production. I haven't bugged claas900 as I knew he would let us know when he felt it had enough torture or broke, plus he busted himself up the first of the year too. Good to hear it is holding up well. I would hate to pull the trigger too soon. What say Yall?

The outer edge of the seat for the flywheel nut wants a little rad in the corner (say 2mm) if you can alter your drawing then. It may mean putting a slight undercut below the thread for the puller to allow enough diameter for the nut and washer to seat on the flat face. The nut and washer must sit completely on the flat face and not bind in the edge radius at all, so too much room is better than not enough.

The sharp female corner is a stress-raiser and could be somewhere for a crack to start if it's left sharp. It was something that got left out at the machine shop for some reason and couldn't easily be rectified afterwards.

Cheers Folks

UpsMan

#19 Post by UpsMan »

Why would clutching like a 2 stroke be hard on anything but the clutch? I would think that if riding style has anything to do with it, it would be abrupt stops more than anything else that would be a problem. The inertia involved during sudden stops (killing it in a corner or snubbing it) has to be way stronger than any acceleration forces. I don't fan the clutch either. I don't know if we can ever be sure of the affect riding style has on them. It seems like the hardest riders have never had problems.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

I have ridden with both UPS and Class900.It is two entirely different riding styles and totally different environments.UPS is very smooth and is running on low-mid end of rpm's.Class900 is a dragracer at heart and wrings every last rpm out of the motor with very high rpm starts.I am not kidding that there could be no more different styles.They both are fast just get it done differently.It also doesn't explain how UPS could make 2 seasons on his Outlaw and not spin a flywheel.This leads me to believe something is wrong with all his flywheels or some variance in the motors we cant explain.A stronger flywheel could cover up for a motor issue until the case cracks.Which is only thing both riders also have in common.