PEPs coming soon...

thedeatons

#1 Post by thedeatons »

Hey Steve... The PEPs we spoke about should be on their way tomorrow. Please return any terrible looking external parts to be powdercoated....

I really appreciate your help and great prices!!

James

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

Hey Steve.... PEPs will arrive at your door on Monday.

I think I will go with a re-chrome of the upper shock bodies. Reason is the preload adjuster rings sit in those grooves. If they are powdercoated and I move the rings the powder will wear quickly. There is a local chrome shop that does pretty inexpensive work.

If anything is damaged beyond repair I assume we get parts from Works Shocks unless it is internal then the parts come from PEP? Not sure, just curious....

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Feb 11 2009, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Steve.... PEPs will arrive at your door on Monday.

I think I will go with a re-chrome of the upper shock bodies. Reason is the preload adjuster rings sit in those grooves. If they are powdercoated and I move the rings the powder will wear quickly. There is a local chrome shop that does pretty inexpensive work.

If anything is damaged beyond repair I assume we get parts from Works Shocks unless it is internal then the parts come from PEP? Not sure, just curious....

Did the chrome shop say they can just do the outside?Really worried about any pitting or dulling from the acid dip I know they must do before they can replate them.

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

I didn't ask yet. What is your opinion on why we can't just chrome them inside and out? Should be a good quality steel right?

I guess I don't understand the entire problem. Can you explain it more to me?

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Think of a shock body as a cylinder just like a motor.Because that is what it is.They are even honed.I would imagine when PEP chromes theirs they then finish machine the inside to ensure it correct finish and size.Size isnt critical like a motor since piston ring has some give but I bet its within .005in.Finish is very important since the wiper(piston ring) on a PEP isnt metal like our Ohlins and if too rough or pitted wiper will wear extremely fast and lead to much more blowby of the oil than normal.Once wore enough then the piston will hit the walls of shockbody and score them up.Chroming inside might work but it would have to be thin for fit.Not sure how much of effect the smoother surface will have on shock action and think about it.Reason you are getting them Chromed is because the old chrome on outside is flaking off or beat up.You dont want that to happen inside shock.Also note that plated threads are cut to a smaller size to account for plating thickness.Most PEP fronts sealhead is screwed onto body.

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

So we are talking about the upper portion where the preload rings are, right? Not the part behind the shock springs...

Once the shocks get broken down perhaps you can show me exactly what to do where....