Gt Thunder somethingorother...

marshall100

#1 Post by marshall100 »

Dude, I think you had a look at these shocks before Dave sent them across to me with a ton of other parts a couple of months back. I picked them up for very little earlier this year off ebay, a bit of a blind punt as while they certainly seemed long enough, you just never know if they're going to fit.....

Well, yesterday was race day and the first time these shocks would see some proper action in race conditions. The only test previous was me standing on the front bumper and jumping up and down to see if they would bottom out. With standard A arms on the front and it sitting what I can only describe as 'flat' I was a little bit suspicious that come the jumps I'd be burying the nose in the dirt.

In a nutshell, they were awesome. The front of the bike felt like it was on rails in the slow corners, barely any pitch or roll, and were it not for a total lack of race fitness I could have been pushing for a top 5 position (and I'm crap!).

I'm now begining to wonder if I need to dial in the rear shock to help with the adjustment on the front?

Anyway, thanks for your help, I can recommend these shocks to anyone not wanting to spend a ton of money on a new front end.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats good news! Yes I rebuilt them. Never saw one before. I thought they were going to work well since they had quite a range of adjustment. Sounds like you got a great deal. Looks like we have another good shock alternative for Cannondales then. I wonder what new price is? They don't look fancy like others but who cares as long as they work well.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

Are you saying these were GT Thunder shocks? I don't get it. What is the shock alternative for Cannondales? Are they for a different machine?

marshall100

#4 Post by marshall100 »

I'm not really sure what they're called. I think new these would have been alot of cash, but second hand they were dirt cheap.

I'll see if I can find the listing in my ebay....

marshall100

#5 Post by marshall100 »

Ah, now I know what happened, boomer got them on my behalf I think. So what they are isn't listed on my ebay because I never placed the bid. The only reason I thought they'd be ok is beacuase of the length, but it's never that straightforward.

Anyhow, I never touched the adjustment as it was all working perfectly! The only time it felt like it was on two wheels was when I went too hot into a corner and pitched it up on the berm!

I'll upload a picture of them on the bike this week, give you an idea of what they look like.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

So where did the GT Thunder in the title come from?

2000ex

#7 Post by 2000ex »

Must be Laz's HLS shocks

marshall100

#8 Post by marshall100 »

It's what it says on the rezzies, I think they're GT thunder works shocks.

And judging by that:Not quite eliminating pitch....

Still, much better than speed ohlins.

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

That's what I was thinking 2000ex. But he did a whole lot of upgrades on other shocks before he started making his own. And he would put his gt thunder logo on them.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

They were his shocks. GT Thunder shock. Never saw anything like them. All steel with steel rezzy welded on and a VERY adjustable compression knob. Had his own piston and valving also. Body looked like Works but used a totally different shim valving than Works. I am impressed and we know those guys do good work. Now I believe it.