Wideband O2 sensor

Mapping discussions
Zerotact

Wideband O2 sensor

#1 Post by Zerotact »

After dealing with my hot start issue, I fell that it's from the bike being too rich ( at least in the lower RPM range ). I've been close to taking it to a dyno, looking for flat spots, and let the sniffer see what kinda AFR i am at... But, the cost of a handfull of trips to the dyno can add up quickly.

After cruizing the auction site, I've noticed several wideband O2 sensors and gauges for an affordable price... Has anyone thought about welding a bung into the junction were the 2 pipes, meet the Silencer can? It sounds like it could work, but I hate to be the crash test pilot.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

JayBr has this setup you are speaking of.Says it works great.Otherwise you can do a whole lot of tuning in a half hour on a dyno.

For hot start issue do you have one of those offset flywheel keys in there?If so take it out.Have you updated the HEX code?

fig

#3 Post by fig »

I ordered one this week. I'll post once I use it.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

I have the autometer AFR guage and sensor, many months now and still haven't installed it yet -- Yes planning a welded thread-in bung in header outlet area, and have the guage mounting issue covered also. I expect it to be very handy, compared to pulling and reading plugs. I'll try to renew that project soon.

GDITheman

#5 Post by GDITheman »

is there a handheld AFR meter that will be accurate enough to make adjustments to fuel with instead of doing plug readings? my buddy just got some tool that works as a sparkplug and has a clear tube in it so you can see the spark color and adjust the fuel by the color.

Zerotact

#6 Post by Zerotact »

Originally posted by cannondale27

For hot start issue do you have one of those offset flywheel keys in there?If so take it out.Have you updated the HEX code?

It's an '05 ATK 450MX with the XC map on it.
with a fresh plug, it will start right up, but after riding , I stall it, and then it gives me fits trying to re-start it.

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by GDITheman
is there a handheld AFR meter that will be accurate enough to make adjustments to fuel with instead of doing plug readings? my buddy just got some tool that works as a sparkplug and has a clear tube in it so you can see the spark color and adjust the fuel by the color.

Yes, but it ain't cheap

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php

Zerotact

#8 Post by Zerotact »

Well,
at $60 a pop for dyno runs, the thing would pay for itself quickly.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Dont you pay by the hour for runs?$70 for 1 hr where I go.

Zerotact

#10 Post by Zerotact »

I'm sure things could be negotiated, but...
I have to call the shop, make an appointment, load the bike, and haul it all the way over there...
to me, if it works $300 isn't so bad.