Need help for project

Mapping discussions
CptHook

Need help for project

#1 Post by CptHook »

Hey guys, need some help from some of you mapping gurus out there. Im doing a project for my technology & society class and chose to do it on EFI in small motors. I thought a good area to touch on would be mapping, and I was going to use the cannondale as an example. I was wondering if someone could shoot up a quick overview how-to of creating a map, nothing overly detailed but enough to get an understanding, you know the basics of what goes into it, maybe even some screen shots if possible.

Also what are the TS, flowrate, offset, etc. and how does each one come into play. What does the hex code do?

Any other info you guys think would be worth presenting would be appreciated. This is going to be a powerpoint. Im going to try to compare it to carburation and jetting, which I understand jetting, but I dont really know a thing about mapping except what I try to pick up on here and in the couple manuals. So I could also use your opinions on the pros-cons of EFI, maybe in comparison to carburation, but it doesnt have to be. I think you guys probably understand where Im trying to go by now. So many thanks in advance for any info you guys can give! biggrin.gif

-Rick

azcannon

have you read this ?

#2 Post by azcannon »

CptHook

#3 Post by CptHook »

Cool, that will be really helpful, thanks!

badvox

#4 Post by badvox »

Hex code is basically an application like any other you use. For example the internet browser you are using now. The main difference with this hex is that it is targeted to run on a real time operating system and not windows.

Im still not entirely sure what computer architecture is used in the SAGEM. But essentially the ECU is a computer, it has an operating system and it has 1 or more applications on it just like the pc you are using to type this.

I do know one thing for sure its an 8 bit operating system.

Most EFI hackers are usually just poking non-volatile memory in the chip. The literally send some offset and then some byte of data. There is alot of data for cars. Not so much for us.

mike

fig

#5 Post by fig »

http://www.harrymoto.com/MX/maps.html

Harry has this good write up on the fuel injection

CptHook

#6 Post by CptHook »

Ok I read the Harry moto page, I get it in general and I was able to use some of the info, but the specifics Im still a little hazy on. Can somone give me a watered down version of what TS, Flowrate and Offset do/affect? Any more help would be really appreciated guys. Thanks

-Rick

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Flowrate:When injectors are new they are tested to measure their actual flow of fuel.That determines the factory flow setting or its basepoint.When you adjust flowrate you are fooling ECU into thinking injectors actually flow more or less than actual.
Offset:Cant think of it now but adjusting it mostly affects lowend and idle to a point then greatly affects entire range.
TS setting:Is the delay the ECU adds from the time you hit throttle till when the ECU reacts.

Tricky thing with all this is one thing affects other things since it is 3D.

fig

#8 Post by fig »

Flowrate- The higer the number the leaner it will burn

Offset- The higher the number the richer it will burn

T/S- a higher T/S number will slow now the throttle response. This is done by richening up the mixture. A T/S of 110 is more responsive than a T/S of 150.

azcannon

#9 Post by azcannon »

except you can't just change the ts setting without changing other things or you will get a huge off idle flat spot possibly kill your motor

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Originally posted by fig

T/S- a higher T/S number will slow now the throttle response. This is done by richening up the mixture.  A T/S of 110 is more responsive than a T/S of 150.

Originally posted by Azcznnon

xcept you can't just change the ts setting without changing other things or you will get a huge off idle flat spot possibly kill your motor

Really are you guys sure about that?Never ntoiced any AFR changes when changing TS setting and was always told it is respose ECU has to throttle input in time.