Hot Start Issues/Mapping?

Mapping discussions
jshort

#1 Post by jshort »

Guys, I am having some issues with hot start. It all started when I tried to do a throttle cal. I can get it to start when cold no problem but once it is warmed up I have to give it some throttle to get it to start.

I have a stock cannibal with no engine mods. I am loading the 03 Cannibal map.

Here are my stock seting from the dyno sheets -
closed throttle - .23
open throttl - 4.59
Throttle offset - 0
Injector offset - .8
Injector flow - 2300
Throttle pos % 3.8 at 2002 rpm

When I did the throttle calibration her are the numbers I got -
closed throttle - .23
open throttle - 4.58
throttle offset - 0
injector offset - .8
injector flow - 2300
Throttle pos % 3.2 at 2200

These setting will allow it to start but it will not start once it is warmed up without giving it some throttle. Also, while it idles it smells like it is rich. I pulled the plug and it had some black suet (sp?) on the tip. I have tried several different combinations with no luck. Can anyone get me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Jason

azcannon

#2 Post by azcannon »

Air filter ? is it clean ? and how did you check your fuel line quick connects?

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

The fuel line also needs to be routed to the side of motor to prevent vaporlock.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

You've got the idle too low. The throttle position is .6 lower in the new settings. You should probably do a throttle calibration as well, not just use the factory settings. The factory settings are good for the injector offset & flow, but not much else.

toothandnail

#5 Post by toothandnail »

I was haveing the same issues ,I think I found the problem , at idle disconnect the temp sensor, idle should go up, mine didn't, and was giving cold start fuel to warm engine. temp still read on the monitor ecu screen .I let it cool down and changed the sensor then when I plugged the D&M back in it fried. not sure what caused that, now my settings are messed up with no way to change back

jshort

#6 Post by jshort »

I did the test that tooth&nail suggested. I let the it idle until it was warm and then I disconnected the temp sensor on the side of the motor and the idle didn't change. This just doesn't seem right because I can watch the temp go up when I have it hooked to the D&M cable. How can the sensor be bad if the sensor give a reading? Where can I get a temp sensor? Does this sound like it could be the problem?
Thanks,
Jason

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

No.The test described works when engine is COLD when temp sensor is disconnected idle should go DOWN.When warm it should do nothing drastic as far as idle although it will affect mixture.This checks to see if your Idle Air Control is working.Which could very well cause your hot start issue if I.A.C.V. is stuck in open position.You are correct if D&M temp is actual temp of motor temp sensor is fine.Temp sensor is at front of motor below intake.

speed2424

#8 Post by speed2424 »

Just an off subject question, But isn't 2300 a bit high for a stock engine?

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

yes that is a higher one than most.

jshort

#10 Post by jshort »

2300 is where it was set from the factory per the dyno sheets. Should I lower this number? What does lowering this nuber do?
Thanks,
Jason