GP control

Mapping discussions
jesshamner

#11 Post by jesshamner »

Why does it need to be dynoed? We did mapping for a long time without a dyno. I'm sure someone could get it close.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

I didnt see that it wasnt ported.One of Peterocks maps should work well.Problem is he had a QRS pipe.Trinity will flow much more especially on bottom end where I had to lean Petes map out alot.Basemap was ****** X440speed map.Try that and go 300 richer on flowrate and then lean it taking plug readings.

jwheat

#13 Post by jwheat »

You don't have to put it on a dyno. Go buy an AFR meter and tune it your self. It will be alot closer that way than sending you pipe off to someone who is at a different elevation than you are and having them make you a map that still isn't right. There are more than enough people on here that can talk you through the tuning over the phone and then you will have the capability of tweaking it anytime you want. The only part of a dyno that is consistent anyway is the AFR readings. HP and torque are just computed averages on dynos and vary with each dyno you use.

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Really?I think just opposite.Did you know that our system compensates for elevation?It also compenstes for temperature.Guess what its compensating as you are tuning on the dyno.Quite a bit actually.That makes AFR much more inconsistent than the hp readings I have seen.Not going to get into a debate on dynos.If you dont believe in them then I will wait for you at finish line tongue.gif

jwheat

#15 Post by jwheat »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 2 2007, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really?I think just opposite.Did you know that our system compensates for elevation?It also compenstes for temperature.Guess what its compensating as you are tuning on the dyno.Quite a bit actually.That makes AFR much more inconsistent than the hp readings I have seen.Not going to get into a debate on dynos.If you dont believe in them then I will wait for you at finish line tongue.gif

Our systems run in open loop only, that means they can only run what is programed into them regardless of output. They have preset percentages of fuel and timing that correspond on a table with temperature and barometer readings. They don't really compensate for anything. If you set they map to run a good AFR where your at, it will have to be adjusted to run right where I'm at. The best way I can state it in simple terms is that our computer has know way of knowing what it is doing...... it simply puts in the fuel and timing settings programmed in it and it can't tell if it's running right or not.... it's blind.

Steve, if you know what elevation someones is at and you know what the setting should be for that elevation, then you can write a correct map for them. The computer will have a preset table for that elevation and can detect the correct elevation/ table by using it's barometer in the computer. If you don't know the settings ahead of time or how to calculate them, then your map will still have to be tweaked when it gets to where it is going.

Simple solution, buy your own AFR meter so you can properly tune your Cannondale. It won't tell you how much HP you've got but it'll still run great when your done.

yamadjs08

#16 Post by yamadjs08 »

I was wondering, is there a way to use an AFR meter without welding a sensor in the head pipe? Like just by holding it by the exhaust or something? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've never seen, used or been around an AFR meter so I'm clueless. Only reason I ask is because if I got one, I would like to tune all of our cannondales with it.

jwheat

#17 Post by jwheat »

QUOTE (yamadjs08 @ Aug 2 2007, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wondering, is there a way to use an AFR meter without welding a sensor in the head pipe? Like just by holding it by the exhaust or something? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've never seen, used or been around an AFR meter so I'm clueless. Only reason I ask is because if I got one, I would like to tune all of our cannondales with it.

I have an oxygen sensor bung welded in my headpipe for tuning. Some AFR meters use a copper tube attached to the oxygen sensor and run the tube down through the muffler as far as they reach. Either way works fine. You can't just hold an oxygen sensor at the back of the muffler because your readings will not be right.

wayneschofield

#18 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (jwheat @ Aug 2 2007, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only part of a dyno that is consistent anyway is the AFR readings. HP and torque are just computed averages on dynos and vary with each dyno you use.

Err, no!

jwheat

#19 Post by jwheat »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Aug 2 2007, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Err, no!

Wayne, if they are not computed, can you please tell me what type of sensor is used to measure HP and what type of sensor is used to measure torque?

And... why is it that you can set your AFR on a dyno and it will be pretty much the same on another dyno in the same area, but HP and torque changes from each and every dyno?

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

But they dont change from each and every dyno.You are just plain wrong on that point.The correct thing to say is they change from SOME dyno comparisons.We have 4 ranging from East Coast to here and they are within 1 or maybe 2hp of each other with same type motors.That is pretty impressive since no two motors are exactly the same and not all can tune as well or know what is neccesary to get accurate,repeatable results.I wonder how many morons put a dyno in a trailer and close the doors when its cold out?Believe me I have seen it.We have seen huge swings in AFR when hot air off motor hits temp sensor.If hot enough even IACV will open.1/4 inch vacuum leak enough to affect AFR?There are simple ways around all these to get good repeatable real world results.

The map we are adjusting is just a reference map.We dont have access to any other tables but if range of compensation is wide enough tuning to optimum at one elevation seems to work just fine at any elevation and temp.So I am assuming our range is wide enough except at startup which probably references an entirely different map.The goal is to find the AFR which produces the most hp and best drivability.If its 13:1 at sealevel on a hot day the most hp/drivability will still be at 13:1 at 3000ft and cold day.Been there done that.Not a issue.Only ones needing tuning had carburetors!Will power output be same?No because there isnt as much air to work with so hence we get less fuel.Dyno can give true hp readings that show that if you want.All depends on correction standard you choose or none at all.But what use would that be?Nothing you can do to create oxygen at altitude unless you add a power enhancer.Everyone else will be up or down in hp also so it just doesnt matter.That is why
Standards are created to make things equal to enable accurate tuning.Some standards must be off since newer ones come out as more is learned.What do you want us to do get a bunch of horses and tie them to the quad and see who can pull the most horses the furthest tongue.gif