"Quiet" Map?

Mapping discussions
thomez

#11 Post by thomez »

Could you set the rev limit on a map really low for map select... I could handle making the map if anyone wanted to try it. Just convince Ranger Bob that it only revs to 5 grand so test would be at ... idle? smile.gif

Just tell him that is why they went out of business, it revs like a BBC. tongue.gif

Derno24

#12 Post by Derno24 »

I am guessing that it won't be the first Dale they have seen. Besides as soon as you rev it and hit the limiter it will make more noise.

Good idea though. Just ask the ranger what rpm works and bring the laptop with different rev limits and just keep loading maps till it works.

I can see it now.....This one work? Nope! How bout this one? Nope! This one? Closer!

I wonder who would tire first you or the ranger.:eek:

crawlr

#13 Post by crawlr »

Originally posted by EuroGOD
Most of the noise comes from the engine.
There is a fix, it involves changing out some of the internals, check out:
www.rsperformance.net
www.atkusa.com
or leave a post in the Ask Southbay thread.

I actually just got my quad back from Southbay. They did the dependability stuff to it. It runs sweet and sounds great but the motor noise is not much different than before. I really don't think the motor noise affects the test since they are holding the sensor at a very specific spot 20" behind the pipe.

I just ordered a decibel meter so can experiment with a few things.

BOBBY

#14 Post by BOBBY »

I know this is going to sound like a "know it all" , but if the holes in the clutch basket were square instead of round it would quiet down some. Believe it or not the shape of the holes changes the sound charactoristics. It works on timing gears.

EuroGOD

#15 Post by EuroGOD »

Originally posted by crawlr
I really don't think the motor noise affects the test since they are holding the sensor at a very specific spot 20" behind the pipe.

Interesting. The police in Australia do much the same thing with random tests on street cars. :hammer:
I would suggest that when you get your dB meter, that you experiment with different angles of "turn-down" on the rear cap.
Some of you may think I'm talking out my a$$, but if you get the chance, stand 10 feet behind a Moto or Blaze. You can feel the exhaust pulse and on a cold morning, you can even see the noise. Changing the direction and flow charicteristics will alter acoustics. Just ask Derno.

I am not going to offer any concrete modification tips, just food for thought...

Derno24

#16 Post by Derno24 »

I was looking into some kind of small insert for the exhaust for tesing purposes. Leave the pipe alone, but change the angle in the pipe. A cheaters quiet core. Just changing the angle of the flow of exhaust will lower you db # greatly. Our machines put out a shock wave of sound so if the reading is taken straight out of the flow it will increase db's just due to the pulse. sound is also pressure.

Just dropping my one useful thing of the month. Mostly repeating what Eurogod said though.

EuroGOD

#17 Post by EuroGOD »

With a knowledge of resonance and frequency you can, time and resource permitting, tune the exhaust pulse so that it is flat at a specific rev range.

From what I understand, US authorities are trying to come-up with a standard testing procedure (distance,angle and engine speed) so that is what you would have to aim for.
Can anyone post details of their sound tests? What the allowed dB limit is, what rev range and how much your particular ride measured.
It would be handy to know which exhaust you have as well. Stock, modified stock, slip-on or full system.

Derno24

#18 Post by Derno24 »

I have only been through one test and I had to hold the hand of the tester. He din't even know what weighting was on the meter. The guys with a better idea of testing procedures would be west coast guys.

From what I see there are too many discrepencies with how they test to correct just for a specific rpm. I was thinking of at least redirecting the wave from the angle of the pipe. I was thinking a piece of sheet metal shaped so you could squeeze it too put it in place for testing then squeeze it too take it out would be a good idea. You wouldn't need alot just enough to deflect the exhaust.

jcmpunk

#19 Post by jcmpunk »

What is the db of a stock speed?

crawlr

#20 Post by crawlr »

Originally posted by EuroGOD
With a knowledge of resonance and frequency you can, time and resource permitting, tune the exhaust pulse so that it is flat at a specific rev range.

From what I understand, US authorities are trying to come-up with a standard testing procedure (distance,angle and engine speed) so that is what you would have to aim for.
Can anyone post details of their sound tests? What the allowed dB limit is, what rev range and how much your particular ride measured.
It would be handy to know which exhaust you have as well. Stock, modified stock, slip-on or full system.

There is more sound testing info in this thread