Electrical Component Troubleshooting

Mapping discussions
turbotalon

#11 Post by turbotalon »

hi i was wondering if there is anyway to test the coil .does anyone know the resistance for a good coil . my problem is that i hooked up a pro design kill switch to the coil like i read in a post .But now im finding that poeple had problems with them (i found out too late).the kill switch worked fine the way i had it hooked up to the blue wire on the coil but if u leave the pull the tether out and the key is still on i found the coil heated up very quickly ,im assuming it continues shorting out the coil which is why i think i might have fried my coil and possibly other components .has anyone had this problem . im still gettin a spark but it wont fire .maybe my crank sensor is fried or the spark is to weak .thanks

pcleiter

#12 Post by pcleiter »

I just observed something that was curious to me... I was testing my rectifier doing the continuity test from black to red. When I put the positive probe against the red wire and negative probe to the black wire, I find strong continuity. When I put the negative probe against the red wire and positive probe to the black wire, I find very low continuity. Can anyone explain why this is? And which way should the test be done? I assume that this is the work of a diode... but if that were the case, then shouldn't the test instructions indicate which probes to hook to which wires?

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

I believe it does account for polarity of the meter. If tested according to the instructions with polarity correct +red, -black I get true clean readings. Polarity reversed I get .858 on the second attempt not the first because the volt meter introduces voltage to do a Ohm check. Diode must act as a capacitor to a degree.