Mapping & ECM

Mapping discussions
86atc250r

Mapping & ECM

#1 Post by 86atc250r »

Please post your mapping or ECM questions here.

I have decoded the complete Cannondale calibration, so I may be able to answer some questions pertaining to it.

I don't have specific information on the exact operating characteristics of the ECM, but I can generally give an educated opinion on how I think things work given my experience with EFI systems in automotive applications and what I can see in the calibration.

I will also be happy to discuss differences in the various maps.

86atc250r

#2 Post by 86atc250r »

Yes, the "maps" are interchangeable.

Really, all the "map" is, is a calibration file.

The ECM is programmed with operating software from the factory. The "Map" is a file full of values that tell the program within the ECM what to do.

These values include ignition timing, idle control, cooling fan control, and fueling requirements for various conditions.

The only differences between the Moto and Speed maps is in the fueling table and the ign timing table.

The fueling table is a 17 x 17 cell "spreadsheet" of values that tell the ECM how much fuel to inject at a particular RPM and throttle position.

The ignition timing tables work the same way.

justfine

WHY????

#3 Post by justfine »

Why do many people like the Nac's map better than the rest?

wyndzer

#4 Post by wyndzer »

Gabe can answer this the best, but the map has been adjusted a little leaner and more timing in some areas of the throttle which gives a hard crisp hit.

86atc250r

#5 Post by 86atc250r »

If I remember correctly the Nacs map has some minor fueling tweaks from a Moto Basemap. I can look tomorrow if anyone's interested in the exact differences.

Guy432's right, the Rev Limit is stored in the Map, you can set it to basically anything you like. I have one guy that used some of my software to set an 8000 RPM rev limit for his son, to keep him out of the CD's wicked top...

We've looked a bit at building a "homebrew" map select kit. I'll have to check with one of the guys I've been talking with to see how he's come along with it.

Knight440

#6 Post by Knight440 »

Hey whats the cost of the software and the laptop hook up? I saw it on e-bay for like $1500.00 and then i asked Jeff@quadshop and and he gave me a price far less then that so now i am a little:confused:

86atc250r

#7 Post by 86atc250r »

The M&D kit is around $300. This kit allows you to upload new maps, globally add or remove fuel, and a few other basic features.

The software that costs $1500 allows you to have much more control over the map, changing rev limits, individual locations in the fuel and ignition tables, and some other stuff.

However, if you are thinking about buying the $1500 software, contact me before you do it.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Thanks,
I plan on working on a map for better cold weather starting mine still needs to be primed at least two times before it will start and stay running when cold.What about that virtual jetting?That would be really cool if we could do some of that.I am still looking for someone who has the full procal with the trim buttons I would think they would have some finely tuned maps.Nobody seems to have it.

Jaybr

#9 Post by Jaybr »

It's a 9 pin serial connection. I think Windows 95 will work, but not certain.

The desktop will work, but the cable is only about 4' long so you would have to move it close to the Dale.

wyndzer

#10 Post by wyndzer »

Go to www.optimum-power.com they can probably help you.