need help with mapping

Mapping discussions
steve-222

#1 Post by steve-222 »

I have a 2002 cannible with a mc500 system. I just had the head, throttle body, and a 450 kit done by timbo. I put the motor back together it runs but has a hard time starting. I need help trying to do a throttle cal and maybe some tips on where I should set the injectors. I have a mil tool and the instructions but I does not seem to do a throttle cal, maybe its just me.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

I would just start out by richening the mid and top end as far as it will go with mill tool.Especially if you have a open filter and exhaust.Then break it in making sure it doesnt get overheated.Once it breaks in then see where you are at preferably with AFR.Some type of tach for setting idle would help also.Its going to run differently once it is broke in so it doesnt pay to worry to much till then.

steve-222

#3 Post by steve-222 »

I broke it in and changed the oil but it still has a very hard time starting. If I could find a degree wheel I would pull my motor back out and make sure that is right. If timing is off would be a pain to start right? I dont have a degree wheel and Kent=moore no longer produces them

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I am not sure what type of porting Timbo did for you but when you port you have to tune.Sometimes alot.I think that is your problem here but we wont know till you go to a dyno for a AFR check.Question:Does it start and idle if you hold the throttle slightly open?

steve-222

#5 Post by steve-222 »

yes but it does take awhile to start. You have to feather the throttle, sometimes I get a backfire through the air filter and it does not matter if it is hot or cold. When i take it to a dyno what all do I need to know to set it up correctly?

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Does the mil tool signal that you have a good throttle cal. If not done they usually dont start at all. Double check your intake boots for folding . The 500ecm does need just a tad of throttle for instant starts. What is your fuel pressure at?

steve-222

#7 Post by steve-222 »

did throttle cal again today and I put all fuel rates to +10% Is starting better need to lower low to about 8 and see how that runs. Very sluggish on take off but leans out on the high rpm. The fuel pressure is now at 50psi it was at 65psi can definitely tell a difference on idle, all boots are tight and sealed properly.

It has a backfire on deceleration is this normal?
With it leaning out on the top end should I raise the fuel pressure?
On a hot start I have to hold open the throttle for about 30 sec. before it will start WHY?

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

A small pop is normal on decel.If its a big bang or a whole bunch of popping it is either lean or exhaust leak.The problem with the 500ecu and using a adjustable regulator is the regulator richens the whole range.Probably way to rich at idle and startup which porting doesnt have much effect on.Wistech has a vacuum port in his intake which he can plug the hose into regulator for true vacuum controlled fuel pressure or if he disconnects hose its a big leak and helps starting in same way our 1000ecu TB's bypass throttle plate with IACV.

steve-222

#9 Post by steve-222 »

I also have a vaccum regulated one. will post pics later tonight

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Can we assume you are not using harley injectors? They would be drowning in fuel at that pressure.