Few Dyno questions

Mapping discussions
claas900

#1 Post by claas900 »

While I've been waiting for the PC to show up I've been looking for a Dyno. Lucky for me, the nearest one is 121 miles from me and they don't have the rollers to do a quad. And they only get further for there. So I either need to rig up a dirt bike swing arm or keep driving further. So I did talk to a guy thats 21 miles from me he doesn't have tunning link he said it's about 2,500 a year to have. He said he will make me a custom map for $200. He said the tunning link wasn't a bad thing but that it just wasn't worth the price for him. He said tunning link does cut dyno time in about half. Also said his custom map is just as good. He can either tune it every 250 rpms or every 500 rpms. He does have tires for me to use also so. I just wanted to know what you guys thought about this?
I really didn't think $200 was bad either he said takes him 2 to 3 hours to do it. I was also liking not having to drive for 2 plus hours. The guys shop name is Dynge's Dyno in Visalia Ca. So what do you guys think?

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

$70 to $80 an hour is about right so would say go for it. Of course if your going to manually do a map mind as well just use the software we have now. I doubt he has that capabilty though.

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

Yah, my local guy said he maps PCs without the link also. He said they are easy to do even without the link.

If he can adjust the fueling tables manually on a PC, then he should be able to do it with our software. It's ridiculously easy to learn, especially if he already knows how to look at an AFR and a fueling/timing table. Just a thought.

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

Alright sounds good I think I will go for it. I'll still use the PC just for him and easy of using it. Thanks again

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

With our current software you can't make changes WHILE DOING A RUN. Big difference there. Tune will be much more accurate if you can actually see the afr changing right before your eyes under load. Go for it.

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

Yes, a good dyno tuner can tune this without the tuning link. If done correctly, they should be going back in an doing a couple small manual adjustments even if they use the tuning link.

As far as doing it manually and comparing the stock software to the power commander....yes it's similiar but the power commander stuff is more accurate. When you look at the dyno chart and you see it rich at 9000rpm at 100% throttle you can go to that exact spot in the power commander table and change it. Same applies for 6250rpms with 75% throttle.

With the d&m kits you are taking a ball park guess at the correct cells to change. A lot more time consuming. Plus any dyno shop with the roller for a quad can tune them. They don't need any extra software and you don't need to drag another person to the dyno to get it tuned.

thedeatons

#7 Post by thedeatons »

Hey Pete, what do you mean ballpark guess? The fuel and timing tables in our software have data labels showing rpm & throttle position.... ?????

Every time we dyno tune it works perfectly. We check AFR at 8k, if its off we tweak fueling table at 8k & 100%TP. We always do runs at 100% TP after a throttle cal. You can also do runs at 50% & 25% by adjusting the throttle limiter screw in to an exact percentage, shown in the monitoring screen.

peterock

#8 Post by peterock »

I mean ballpark guess. There is no way you are adjusting at 8000rpm at 100% throttle. Not an option. You are either adjusting 7744rpms or 8960. Those are your two options to select. Plus the maps only go to 10944??? How does that work when you are reving to 11500 or higher????

Pictures to compare: Power commander you can adjust every 250rpms and the throttle % is more precise. As in 40% or 60% and such vs half %. Plus changes are instant. You don't have to turn the quad off and save the map and reload the new map. A lot quicker and more accurate.

old

new

peterock

#9 Post by peterock »

one of the key advantages that should be mentioned. YOU CAN PULL THE MAP OF THE POWER COMMANDER!!!! How many of you have gone to the dyno to not remember what map you had in your ECU??? Only to have to start from scratch or what you though was the last correct map???

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

That is a good one.Pete you can adjust the rpm or throttle spacing to whatever you what in procal though.