Few Dyno questions

Mapping discussions
Scooter

#11 Post by Scooter »

If you have procal you have the ability to upload and manipulate then save the map you have in the ecu. The ecu will interpilate between cells and if you are over the 10900 rpm it uses the last number for fuel or ignition advance. We caculate every rev for fuel and spark and look at what rpm and tps is to determine what is delivered. I do not know how the power comander works but I am sure you can efect a change to the way the machine performes but what are its limitations? How much fuel can it add or remove? How much advance or retard will it do to the ignition? Technology has come a long way since we developed our system 10 years ago and we hope to push the envelope again in the near future.

Scooter

thedeatons

#12 Post by thedeatons »

Hate to argue with you Pete, but not knowing what map is in your ECU or which map does what is simply a lack of organization. I'm not trying to be rude, just truthful. Just like organizing folders in Windows, you must organize maps in your folders, using sub folders, and titles. We have managed to ALWAYS know what map is in one of our mapped machines, due to careful organization.

As far as knowing what map is in an ECU, here is a post from Scooter, back in 2003 on ThumperTalk. Perhaps this information was forgotten, or never used properly, but it sounds to me like Optimum made deciphering between different maps very easy for us. Here is the paragraph from Scooter:

Couldn't help but seeing your post in TT and thought I could offer some more insight for the other readers out there.

First off thanks to all of you for using our products. I think you will find it to be a great asset to your machine. It is quite powerful once you have learned how to make it work for you and your bike. I noticed the reference to the map being sent as the revised map to be "uploaded". We think of uploading as receiving calibrations from the ECU and downloading as sending them to the ECU. It is correct in that the Numeric cal ID is a way to file the different maps and the TPS cals, TB leakage, injector flow rate, etc are specific to each machine. They are interoperated by the ECU for fueling and spark values contained on the generic calibration file or "Map".

The ID number is not reported when you use the D&M tools to "Receive All from ECU". If someone makes a change to a map in Pro Cal and does not change the description or the ID number and downloads it to an ECU, there will be no way to determine what map is in there at a later date. The ID number is how Cannondale named them so as to make it easy to tell what model and year, as well as what revision. There is the ability to change the description in Pro Cal. You just need to select edit description from the Tools menu. You have up to 256 characters you can put in that box. This is where I make notes to as what I have done with the particular map, what track, who is riding, date and any thing else that is important such as particular machine. You can also change the ID number through Pro Cal but that will not change the name of the file, you still need to change it when you save it.

I hope this helps organize your engine calibrations and library filing system and, as always, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Scooter
cch@optim-power.com

Here is the link to the webpage:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/i...hp/t-73454.html

There is not much that Optimum's software will not do. By the way, here is a recent PM reply from Scooter. I asked him whether Optimum plans on ever going away from Dales, how long we will have support. His reply:

"OPT is planning to support the machines till the last one breathes its last. There has been talk of a new interface cable but that has been going on for years now but I believe we are closer to a new cable. We are currently building our own ECU to replace the old one that we purchased and put our sofware in. We are in the prototype stages right now but they want a working one before the first of the year. Scooter"

I like the idea of the PC, more options, easier for some that don't want to learn how to map themselves, but we cannot forget the effort that Optimum made. There is still no other ATV or dirtbike from the factory with Optimum's level of tuning capability. James

MyCannibal

#13 Post by MyCannibal »

good post deatons...interesting.

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

First off how many have Optimum approved ProCal? How many are using map tweak or ECU diag? I bet less than 5 people actually have the fully capable and authorized ProCal and actually use it.

ATK is the ones getting anything new from Optimum. You will have to buy it. The new ATK Pro Cal is much better than the Cannondale system. But who is paying for the software whether Cannondale or the ATK? If you don't pay you can't retrieve maps off ECU if you are using the Pirated software. Even then unless you have dealer Cal you can't even communicate with others. So you have a choice buy a system that almost no one knows how to operate and costs near a $1000 or get a PowerCommander and every dyno operator can handle it for under $300.

I feel that Scooter not Optimum has been a huge asset to us. Optimum as a company just plain sucks. They have charged a premium rate for software that can obviously be greatly improved as evidenced from ATK's version. They have also made you have serial codes and passwords that are just a pain and very inconvenient. Everytime someone is stuck on a weekend with no chance of getting a serial code in order to use it think about how great Optimum is. The system was designed to make $ for Optimum and it has or should have.

peterock

#15 Post by peterock »

Optimum software could be great, could do everything. But as Steve mentioned above. I had to activate a new ECU for out Dyno tuning session this last week as the ECU went to crap on us. I called optimum, only to have the only option of leaving a message. It took over an hour for them to call me back so I could activate and use the ECU with the D&M Kit. That's a long time to have a quad sitting on a dyno waiting to be tuned.

claas900

#16 Post by claas900 »

I just wanted to give this a update. I did get it done everything went well. The only thing the Dyno guy said he had happen thats he has never had was when he would let up on the gas then stab it again his monitor would blank out for a bit. He said the PC was/is still powered up when this would happen so he wasn't sure what to think. He said he really didn't know but his only guess would be that maybe our ECU wasn't meant to have a PC and the PC only had so much juice and it decided to kill his monitor, but he really didn't know.
This motor has never started good,and id said its about 85% better. Its just never consent.

peterock

#17 Post by peterock »

You may have a short or grounding issue in your harness some place. Have to keep it noted though. You are actually the first to run into any hick-ups.

claas900

#18 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Oct 13 2008, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may have a short or grounding issue in your harness some place. Have to keep it noted though. You are actually the first to run into any hick-ups.

no surprise I have been thinking of swapping out the harness. But thats a job I'm in no hurry for.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

It could be the Cannondale Thunder freaking out his screen! Just kidding. Not sure what would cause that. Maybe some kind of interference?

claas900

#20 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 14 2008, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It could be the Cannondale Thunder freaking out his screen!Just kidding.Not sure what would cause that.Maybe some kind of interference?

LOL he was surprised on how well it performed. It put out about 3-5 hp more than he was expecting. So that was a good thing. But I've always had trouble with this thing starting so. Though I have noticed something funny with it starting that your are not going to believe. When it's been sitting for about 2 weeks and I go to start it it will crank over really good, and not start but as the battery dies down a bit it fires right up. Dumbest thing I know. I think it start 90% better with a weak batt. I can't think of how many times it was cranking over slowly and I'd think to myself its not going to start and every time it fires.