Random hesitation with new exhaust

Mapping discussions
SlOoT

#1 Post by SlOoT »

I installed a '03 toaster today on a Blaze (to bring noise down). It allready had a Canniboomer podfilter. It has a Easy X topfueler map. It ran great with the fmf Ti exhaust. And now with the toaster it also seems to run great, starts good and fast throttle response.

The only thing is that it sometimes bogs down, as if it gets no fuel. Have had it only happen at 25%-75% throttle at low-mid rpms.

I already did a throttle cal. Flowrate: 2200 and Offset: 0.75

Has a new fuel filter and Canniboomer tank update.

Any idea's? Is it save to install a stock map?

Thanks

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

Any Dale that came from the factory with a Toaster had crazy timing in it (lots of timing) to overcome the poor flow characteristics of the canister. Not saying that is your problem, just an FYI.

Sometimes you can get a stumble when the canister is not tight or leaking a lot, I found this out when I had an aftermarket can sliding off the header, it would stumble a lot.

Nothing wrong with trying a different map as a troubleshooting step.

SlOoT

#3 Post by SlOoT »

Will check the exhaust system, thanks.

Is there also a way to test the TPS sensor?

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

If you made no mapping or calibration adjustments from before, it's more likely to be on the richer side now, with excess fuel when you stab the throttle, and the motor bogging while it reacts. Throttle offset is a bit low at .75 ...maybe try leaning out the flowrate and bumping up the injector offset?

rayspeed

#5 Post by rayspeed »

I would try leaning it out a bit... with that can on there not quite flowing as well maybe it is loading up too much with fuel in the conditions where it stumbles. That may help your problem but that combo is way out of the ordinary so you may need to customize something to get a good afr. That map you have has timing taken out and extra fuel... fyi.

Test the tps by looking at the throttle position voltage or percentage and make sure it is a smooth up and down progression and reads in all positions.

SlOoT

#6 Post by SlOoT »

It is indeed a strange setup, it ran perfect with the fmf ti.

I will try leaning it out a bit. And maybe also swap a TPS.

Offset to 0.8 and flowrate to 2400 good starting point?

Thanks

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

If it is starting OK I would only adjust the flow rate to 2400 first. The flow rate number will bleed over into the offset setting a little. Since your problem is only in the 1/4 throttle up area, leave the offset number alone until you have starting issues.

SlOoT

#8 Post by SlOoT »

Changed the flowrate to 2400. Seems to run good now.

Only thing it has now is some hesitation around idle. Maybe raise the offset?

Thanks

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

When you change the flow rate number, there is always a little bleed over into the other setting and vice versa. Deal with one setting at a time. If it runs good, start playing with the offset setting. If you believe it's too lean at idle, do as suggested earlier and go up on the offset number to richen it out. I would suggest 1.0, if there is no noticable difference go higher until you notice a difference.

SlOoT

#10 Post by SlOoT »

I now have this :

It idles around 2400, when I rev it and then let it idle again it idles around 3000 and then after some time drops to 2200-2400.

I also tried some stock maps, does not help.

I am sure the Top Fueler map can work, coz my Cannibal also has a toaster exhaust and podfilter and runs perfect with that map.

Thanks