First trip to the dyno...

Mapping discussions
m_mcgranahan

#1 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

So I got my motor back together and running. (Timbo port, fmf ti, open intake, 13:1 cp 47mm TB, Waynes cams, 110deg intake, 107deg ex...) Rayspeed said I might be able to borrow his rider trip and map select kit for the dyno trip. I am wodering how does the rider trip work? Does it actually adjust the flow rate in the map? (Since I am just borrowing it, to speed up the process I will need to get the flow rate figure so I can make sure the motor is still spot on after I take the rider trim off. ) I am figuring I will have to put my ecu codes into his procal computer to get this to work for the dyno session right?

His other suggestions were, take plastics off, tap the coil wires before I go, bring a battery charger and/or spare battery. ANything else I should do to make this go well?

Thanks

God bless...

mark

TricityCdale

#2 Post by TricityCdale »

I don't have the answer on the rider trim question, but I am eager to see what your results are. Is the CP piston a 450 or a 460? Mine sounds like a nearly identical build, with the 450 piston, and the exception of Wayne's cams, and I'm dyno-ing it tomorrow night. It will be interesting to compare results. The only other difference I have is I'll be using an '02 exhaust with an HMF slip-on.

I can't wait to see.

Oh, and bring the seat.... tongue.gif

m_mcgranahan

#3 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (TricityCdale @ Feb 26 2009, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have the answer on the rider trim question, but I am eager to see what your results are. Is the CP piston a 450 or a 460? Mine sounds like a nearly identical build, with the 450 piston, and the exception of Wayne's cams, and I'm dyno-ing it tomorrow night. It will be interesting to compare results. The only other difference I have is I'll be using an '02 exhaust with an HMF slip-on.

I can't wait to see.

Oh, and bring the seat.... tongue.gif

Hi,

Mine is also the 450/97mm 13:1 piston. What is your cam timing set at? I hope yours goes well and I can't wait to see the numbers/graphs when you get done!

God bless...

mark

2mike18

#4 Post by 2mike18 »

would like to see the dyno sheets on both those motors. mark my suggestion is fresh gas since i didnt see that on your list of items. good luck and hope it performs as you expect it to. oh and flattrack tires if you have access to some. knobby tires dont grip as well on the dyno

m_mcgranahan

#5 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (darkknight @ Feb 26 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
would like to see the dyno sheets on both those motors. mark my suggestion is fresh gas since i didnt see that on your list of items. good luck and hope it performs as you expect it to. oh and flattrack tires if you have access to some. knobby tires dont grip as well on the dyno

Thanks for the hint. I was told the dyno shop has slicks I can bolt on for the dyno runs.

God bless...

Mark

TricityCdale

#6 Post by TricityCdale »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ Feb 25 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Mine is also the 450/97mm 13:1 piston. What is your cam timing set at? I hope yours goes well and I can't wait to see the numbers/graphs when you get done!

God bless...

mark

I have the same 110/107 cam timing. I'll be sure and post the chart on Friday. I'll be running 50/50 Sunoco 110 and Premium 92 Octane fuel, just because that's what's in there. I'm not too concerned with absolute, do anything possible to make max dyno HP numbers, more along the lines of tuning it how it gets ridden, and it doesn't always get new fresh fuel.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Forget about the rider trim. You would need Rays whole ECU. When using the rider trim you also have to save the map you just made within two minutes or it will go back to original setting. Best is to relly familiarize yourself with the ProCal. If not really comfortable with that get a Power Commander and let the dyno guy do it.

rayspeed

#8 Post by rayspeed »

I have not hooked up the map select to anything yet or done much research on it but I was thinking that we could load the three most likely maps to get the best results into marks ecu and do some pulls to pick the one that gives the most hp and use the trim to tweak it for afr on the fly. When we get it close we can go back and change the flow rate in that map before a final runs. Wouldnt that work or am I missing something?

I even have a spare ecu and so does mark I think that we could load other likely maps or ones with different flow rates to make the process quicker with less pulls to dial it in. We could even have another quad there with the D&M hooked up to it and be able to load or fix maps, change flow rates and such and swap ecu's quickly between pulls.

We are going to have to learn how to build three seperate maps into one map load I assume or is all of this a waste of time and we should just do it the conventional way?

Mark I have the software with the map select but have never used it so this will be a learning process, the only way I have tweaked a map myself is online and we might not have that option.
So a working version of procal is probably needed but I have never got one to work that I got off a posting.
Ray

peterock

#9 Post by peterock »

Kind of sounds like a complete pain in the a** to do it that way. Obviously I 'm going to say powercommander first then the traditional way of tuning the map 2nd. Do your three pulls and adjust the map where you need to.

MX Quad Dad

#10 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Its been a while since I installed or used our rider trim. I know there were key codes to activate it, but I don't know about the code from optimum. I know the pro cal code is needed. You have to load the function of the rider trim (Timming, jetting or transient response), it only takes one at a time. I would have to check but it would be nice if you could load three identical maps with a differant function for the rider trim.