First trip to the dyno...

Mapping discussions
thedeatons

#11 Post by thedeatons »

That was supposed to be used for racers as an on the fly adjust. Not a time efficient idea to use that at the dyno. Use Pro-Cal and just change the numbers, same as a spreadsheet. Run at 100 & throttle first, and only change numbers in that row. Then set the throttle limiter to 50%, and only modify that row of numbers, etc. Do that as many times as you want to get the map perfect, or just do a couple and blend it.

That is the most cost effective, simple way. I say that because every owner should have a D&M kit to work on their Dale. So if you already have the kit you are halfway there, just learn to use it.

The second most cost effective way is buying a Power Commander. It will cost money over the D&M, but any dyno operator can use it, so you don't have to worry about it.

MX Quad Dad

#12 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Ok, that just sounds wrong. Not time efficient for dyno, I have only raced a little, but if the pro's have enough time to mess with rider, trim my hats off to them. the deal I got on the package wasn't much over the cost of D&M aand Pro-cal. so I hate to say but it sounds to me, trim is a waste of money. I always thought the dyno is were it would come in handy. of coarse you would have to have spent the time to understand the rider trim before you took it to the dyno.

My understanding of how the rider trim works may be wrong and I have zero experance with dyno's.

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Feb 26 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was supposed to be used for racers as an on the fly adjust. Not a time efficient idea to use that at the dyno. Use Pro-Cal and just change the numbers, same as a spreadsheet.

Dude, the rider trim IS the easiest and fastest way to tune your quad. You don't have to stop to change your timing or fuel settings. The only catch with it IMO is the lack of knowledge out here on it. But, if you get it figured out and have the software you can go to town.

thedeatons

#14 Post by thedeatons »

Okay.... To adjust with rider trim you would have to do a baseline, find where you are lean or rich, then go there while spinning the rollers and watching the AFR, dial the trim leaner or richer, then go to the next spot, etc. THEN at the end you have to save the map within two minutes off shutting the bike down or you lose it.

Rider trim would not work well on the dyno because you tune at 100% throttle opening on the dyno. How are you supposed to hold the quad at 5500rpm while at 100% throttle opening, then tweak the map with the trim?

Dynojet can apply brakes but only Brake ON or Brake OFF, so it's either go or stop. There are other dynos that can hold a quad at a certain speed, but they are not as popular and few and far between.

When we dyno the operator & map writer look at the AFR from the last 100% throttle run, and make multiple tweaks on the 100% throttle opening row, upload the map, then we try again. It usually takes us about 5 runs to get the AFR really flat from 3k-11k rpm. It's really not that difficult! After that you go for timing, then you recheck your AFR.

Trim would be nearly impossible to get to work right.

The Cannondale testers used trim to tweak the quads and bikes, making seat of the pants changes on the track which turned into the production maps. Anyone who has looked at the factory maps for any length of ttime knows they are all over the place, blending was nearly non-existant.

TricityCdale

#15 Post by TricityCdale »

Speaking of dyno runs......

The results from last nights session was 54.1 hp and 33 or 34 lbs-ft torque for my 450. Unfortunately, the printer quit working and I wasn't able to get a printout. We tried to save the files onto a disk, but it is a .drg file, which WinPep 7 doesn't recognize as a run file. The runs are saved on the shop computer, but I wasn't able to get a copy before I left.

Again, this motor was:

CP 450 pump gas piston
50% 110/92 octane fuel
cdsracer ported head
ported TB
Boomer intake w/Uni Filter and rubber flap/cover installed
cam timing set at 110/107
'02 headpipe w/HMF slipon
stock stroke crank

As soon as I can get a printout, I'll make a separate post.

thedeatons

#16 Post by thedeatons »

It was really good considering HMF short header and no Cyclone!

Funny to see the other 470+ Jap quads throwing down 54 flat..... LOLOL

Now that they see the Dales throw up big numbers eveyr time they are starting to throw weight readings around.

The operator weighed his LTR with no gas and no nerfs and it was 410 lbs, and his new KTM SX505 weighed 360lbs.... Time to weigh a long travel Dale.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

Deatons a dynojet dyno can hold quad at any rpm wanted with the brake.

TricityCdale

#18 Post by TricityCdale »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 27 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deatons a dynojet dyno can hold quad at any rpm wanted with the brake.

From the sounds of it, this particular shop may have some older software, and the dyno operator(at least the guy that does the quads after hours) can do basic functions, like recording runs and such, but doesn't really seem to be too sharp on the technical aspects of the dyno. Like I said, he just threw up his hands about the printer or saving the files to a disk. So, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't know the full capabilities of the dyno.

That could definitely be a useful feature if you had a thumb throttle that you could set the throttle opening value on. You could target individual cells in the map. I run twists though, can't stand thumb throttles, especially the Dale ones!

peterock

#19 Post by peterock »

put a thumb throttle on just for the dyno. Not that big of a deal to switch around.

TricityCdale

#20 Post by TricityCdale »

QUOTE (peterock @ Feb 27 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
put a thumb throttle on just for the dyno. Not that big of a deal to switch around.

That's true, but it's still a PITA, especially with the Cycra handguards. Oh, and I'm generally not THAT ambitious!! tongue.gif