First trip to the dyno...

Mapping discussions
TricityCdale

#41 Post by TricityCdale »

Great job! It's good to know that the two similar builds got nearly identical numbers. That's awesome.

Speed 1B

#42 Post by Speed 1B »

I see racers edge dynoed that. What did they think of it? They build some really wicked sand/drag 4 strokes.

rayspeed

#43 Post by rayspeed »

The owner John is strictly a straight line drag racing horsepower guy... he builds 70 hp plus 450r's and tripple banshees all day long. A couple of my friends went to him and ended up with quads that were a so much of a handfull that they either sold them and lost a ton of money or want to. It was like asking Don Garlets to build you something to try to play around with on an scca road course.

My small stroker speed was the first dale he ever even saw or dynoed a couple of years ago and we got 48 out of it with boomers intake and we did it again with marks the other day with a bored tb and cyclone and hit 52. Outwardly he puts on a face of being impressed and those numbers being respectable probably because after all we were customers. I have caught a few secondhand comments from some people and I dont remember exactly what they were but they were not all that positive but I dont know if he was referring to the machine or us!

thedeatons

#44 Post by thedeatons »

In general no one is impressed with Dales unless they own one. Especially the dyno operators. We tell them we can get 55hp with less than $1k and they don't believe it.... Then you post the numbers and show the receipts and they start talking about how much more the Dales weigh....

Point is everyone likes what they own. Our operator now owns a KTM, and all of a sudden his 60hp LTR is a piece of dung, super heavy and can't believe he ever owned it. It's a mental act of keeping up with the Jones'.

It is extremely humbling to find someone to actually admit they do not have the best quad, and understand the differences between them all. Not just the negatives, but the positives also.

speedracer

#45 Post by speedracer »

Thats some great numbers,hope mine can get that.

m_mcgranahan

#46 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

Yeah, he said I didn't want to know what he gets out of Hondas, so I asked him he said he gets 65hp out of a 450. (Pretty sure thats race gas, 14 or 15 to 1 compression, hot cams porting exhaust, intake etc) He was even to kind to say that he gets 50hp out of LTR450's with intake exhaust, cherry bomb and exhaust, so I dont think he was too impressed ;-)

It is cool to think that w the right gas, I could get 57hp, so I'm closing on the 65 of the honda.

God bless...

Mark

Thanks for helping me with the dyno runs Ray.

MX Quad Dad

#47 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Few things come to mind when I read stuff like in the last fews posts here.

I've never run a dyno, but it seems to me a dyno operator could make some gains with just the dyno.

I'm more interested in the entire powercurve than max Hp

engine builders are salemen. they get a rep for getting x amount of Hp from brand z then switch to brand y, if he already has satisfied brand z customers, get them to switch to brand y = more work.

the weight issue makes me say put them on a scale. of coarse they would need to be in equal trim. have had YFZ riders tell me, wider axle, nerfs, wider a-arms, lt shocks with rezys and steering damper don't add that much weight.

m_mcgranahan

#48 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Mar 7 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Few things come to mind when I read stuff like in the last fews posts here.

I've never run a dyno, but it seems to me a dyno operator could make some gains with just the dyno.

I'm more interested in the entire powercurve than max Hp

engine builders are salemen. they get a rep for getting x amount of Hp from brand z then switch to brand y, if he already has satisfied brand z customers, get them to switch to brand y = more work.

the weight issue makes me say put them on a scale. of coarse they would need to be in equal trim. have had YFZ riders tell me, wider axle, nerfs, wider a-arms, lt shocks with rezys and steering damper don't add that much weight.

Hi,
Yeah you can make hp gains etc on the dyno, but you will need to have a d&m kit and maptweak to do it. I suggest that anyone wanting to do this show get to understand how this all works before going to the dyno, cause most dyno operators will not be able to tweak it for you.

Btw Racers edge let us in for a really short session w 3 hrs notice because they are overwhelmed with work for 4 stroke wars, so I didn't get to do any tweaking but adding fuel at the top and bottom of the map to get in the safe afr zone throughout. I was hoping to bring race gas to try as well, but didn't have time to get any before I went.

God bless....

Mark

thedeatons

#49 Post by thedeatons »

Yah, what he didn't tell you about those Hondas is the work cost well over $3000 to get there.

Dales can get 60hp from $1250.

He also didn't say anything about their reliability factor. There are many builders out there just poking around for a number, and all they need is one run to get it...

Trust me, if he had a Dale he would be bragging on those too.

By the way, that LTR with 50hp cost about $1200 in mods.....

Dollar for dollar the Dale is still getting it in my opinion. The KTMs may be closing in, due to their 525 and 505 offerings....

cannondale27

#50 Post by cannondale27 »

Its a pretty even playing field in the 450 class or motors based on 450's.
50hp there is alot of among all the makes with just add on and cams
55hp takes some porting
60hp is getting exotic.Very few usually means bigger cc's
65hp is really rare and reliability is definitly compromised