First trip to the dyno...

Mapping discussions
MX Quad Dad

#51 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ Mar 7 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
Yeah you can make hp gains etc on the dyno, but you will need to have a d&m kit and maptweak to do it. I suggest that anyone wanting to do this show get to understand how this all works before going to the dyno, cause most dyno operators will not be able to tweak it for you.
went.

God bless....

Mark

What I was tring to say is, I figure a dyno operator who knows what he's doing can probubly do a few things to get a better chart without cannging the engine in any way. one thing comes to mind is lieing about the cc's

rayspeed

#52 Post by rayspeed »

I guess that could be true... I used to run an over the road truck dyno at the cat dealer way back when. I remember somebody telling me that we had to offset the chart because if by god that motor was supposed to be 425 hp that is the least of what the driver demanded to see... at the wheels no less. No amount of explaining to them about drivetrain loss and what not would shut them up. However anything over that and you would get a grin from ear to ear and could count how many teeth they were missing.
I the case of this dyno I think it is spot on... I think it puts on a variable load at a certain speed range... you nail it at a certain speed in fourth gear and it lets it wind out to the max speed and then drags it down to that minimum speed.

thedeatons

#53 Post by thedeatons »

We use 3rd gear, and lug it down to 2500rpm, then hit it and run it to the limiter...

m_mcgranahan

#54 Post by m_mcgranahan »

HI,

For what its worth, here is a copy the terminator map that I used for this run.

God bless...

Mark

m_mcgranahan

#55 Post by m_mcgranahan »

HI,

Just curious, Wayne suggested that I add timing down low and take some out up high to match the cams. I am looking for suggestions on how much and which cells if anyone has the time to take a look at it.

Thanks,

God bless...

Mark

m_mcgranahan

#56 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

Bummer, the xcracing site has been down for some time now. I found the map comparison feature a real help. (It gives me a http 500 internal server error when I try to upload the maps. ) I made an excell spread sheet to compare the terminator to the moto_speed combo map that I used to break the motor in. It seemed that the moto_speed combo map had more low end in it which I would like to get back!

Btw on the page labeled combo, the brown cells are the terminator, the red cells are the moto_speed

GOd bless...

Mark

thedeatons

#57 Post by thedeatons »

I wouldn't make any changes without being on the dyno...... Just my two cents. On the dyno you add and take away timing simply to get hp. Once the AFR is flat by adjusting fuel you simply see if the engine responds better with more or less timing.

MX Quad Dad

#58 Post by MX Quad Dad »

rayspeed, LOL I had a vision of more than a few truckdrivers I know when I read that post and couldn't hold back the laughter when I got to the teeth part. you defenitly didn't want to be around them if they started talking about thier truck while eatting thier luch.