Getting a close map before going to dyno

Mapping discussions
wayne-1968

#11 Post by wayne-1968 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Apr 1 2009, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Couple tips to make dyno tuning faster.

Use the AFR bar guage on dyno for idle and low end. Just get it in the green or slightly lean.No need to make runs. Do this last after topend tuning.

When you tune the topend dont be overly concerned with AFR till you get the line straight as possible using map editor. Then use the flowrate to get afr where most power is. Changing flowrate will leave you straight afr straight and change entire line up or down. Makes finding the power easy. Hard part is getting afr flat.

Ran into a new one last week on dyno. Check your throttle percentage especially after setting idle which you will have to do after making changes. If throttle % at full isn't 95% or preferably 100% adjust the cable or check the thumb throttle to see if the arm inside has full travel. Ran into one that had about 1/8 in less throw than it should which led to only 80% throttle and made top end tuning impossible.

I also just started getting my quad running but I have the 450 and ported and boomer's gas tank mine is also shooting flames out the back.

What kind of settings do you think I should start at or what should I be looking at to fix.

Please help.

Thanks Wayne

claas900

#12 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Apr 1 2009, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Couple tips to make dyno tuning faster.

Use the AFR bar guage on dyno for idle and low end.Just get it in the green or slightly lean.No need to make runs.Do this last after topend tuning.

When you tune the topend dont be overly concerned with AFR till you get the line straight as possible using map editor.Then use the flowrate to get afr where most power is.Changing flowrate will leave you straight afr straight and change entire line up or down.Makes finding the power easy.Hard part is getting afr flat.

Ran into a new one last week on dyno.Check your throttle percentage especially after setting idle which you will have to do after making changes.If throttle % at full isnt 95% or preferably 100% adjust the cable or check the thumbthrottle to see if the arm inside has full travel.Ran into one that had about 1/8in less throw than it should which led to only 80%throttle and made top end tuning impossible.

The bike I just picked up was only getting about 85% throttle, and to think he rode all the time and the bike still had more in it.

alexw1991

#13 Post by alexw1991 »

Well guys I have decided to get a hand held AFR meter insted of going to the dyno. I think it will save me cash in the long run. I'm looking at picking up an Innovate Motorsports LM2 LM-2 Wideband O2 Sensor AFR.

Any words of wisdom? smile.gif

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Derno used one of those. PM him. Should work just fine and at least you will be riding when doing it!

joep1219

#15 Post by joep1219 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Apr 2 2009, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Derno used one of those.PM him.Should work just fine and at least you will be riding when doing it!

I use the lm=1 to tune my 02 Camaro, works great. Just make sure you calibrate the o2 to the unit! and never leave the o2 in the bung with out the unit pluged in and turned on. That one will cost ya, believe me I know. You can even data log to make things easier. That's how I plan on tuning mine once I get the crank back. Can't wait!

Happyboy

#16 Post by Happyboy »

Mmmm, LM1. yum yum. I love mine. biggrin.gif

Kuma

#17 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Aug 6 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mmmm, LM1. yum yum. i love mine. biggrin.gif

Just got an LM-2, I'll be tuning on the street, I figure I can roll it in 3rd or 4th right on up to the limiter, also been thinking of strapping weight to the front bumper for sme extra load.