D&M Basics

Mapping discussions
67z400

#1 Post by 67z400 »

Hi, I just bought a D&M cable and software cd and need to know how to get started.

I know there are many different usb to serial adapters and have heard good things about the belkin, but I cannot find it. Are there any other usb to serial adapters the work well, successfully able to load hex code.

I have access to several laptops to load the software on. One machine has vista and another XP. Which o/s is preferred to use with the D&M kit.

Once I get the software up and running I will be making a request to optimum for the auth. code. Then I hope to start using it. Are there any manuals or guides to help me use the D&M software?

Thanks

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

i would suggest running it on XP.

2000ex

#3 Post by 2000ex »

Tom, shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you the manual as well

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (67z400 @ Dec 2 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
........Are there any other usb to serial adapters the work well, successfully able to load hex code?
Thanks

The answer is probably NO. If you are lucky, you might get a USB-Serial adapter to work for the normal D&M functions.... but they have not worked to reload a hexcode. You are likely much better off to dedicate an older Laptop to the D&M kit. There are plenty of Pentium II's and III's out there with serial ports, and they are cheap these days....just look for one with a decent battery, and an AC adapter. I have used everything from Windows 95 through XP with no problems. I have not tried Vista, and most Vista laptops don't have a serial port anyway.

If you still want to get an adapter, I would buy the one at Radio Shack and keep the receipt -- so you can return it. On SOME computers, that one does work -- but again, it's hit and miss. Years ago, I blew away $55 on a Belkin adapter. It was the exact model as known to work for others, and was posted on this forum. But, it did NOT work for my particular laptop and OS. Finally, I tried the Radio Shack unit, and it worked. But for the next guy?,...maybe not!

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Heck for $55 I bet there are old Windows 2000 PC's or maybe even Laptops out there now.Dedicate it to just your Cannondales and you will have a glitch free system that works every time even on HEX and all the old ones had serial ports like needed.

67z400

#6 Post by 67z400 »

Thanks for the tips. I did some research on ebay and I have found many older pentium 2 and 3 laptops with a serial port for around a $100. I think I will just buy a dedicated laptop.

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

I have a belkin adapter that works with Toshiba Satelites and Dell Inspirons both running XP. The adapter that allows me to load hex codes, but I agree that it would be better to just find an old laptop with the serial port.

Nickc711

#8 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Dec 3 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a belkin adapter that works with Toshiba Satelites and Dell Inspirons both running XP. The adapter that allows me to load hex codes, but I agree that it would be better to just find an old laptop with the serial port.

you can get one on ebay for like 80 bucks shipped, with xp pro there are hundreds of them on there!!

Scooter

#9 Post by Scooter »

There is no way to get a USB to serial adaptor to load Hex code. If you get a pcimca to serial adaptor it will give you the ability to download Hex code.

Scooter

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

I have done it. For some reason, my quad wouldn't start after a 2 hour trip in the back of my truck. Someone suggested reloading the hex after numerous and exhausting other attempts to get it started. I loaded the hex and a the same map that was in it and it fired right up. I have never used my D&M with a computer that had a serial port. I have only used it with this adapter.