ECU Communication Failure

Mapping discussions
67z400

#1 Post by 67z400 »

I recently installed the d&m kit and attempted to communicate with the ECU. I received the 125 communication error several times. I thought my hex may be corrupted. I then used Optimum Loader to resend the hex, but that did not work either. The optimum loader would attempt communication and then time out. I tried this on all the ports. Each ended with wakeup sequence failed, and reprogramming failed.

The bike runs, but I can not access the ECU. I think I may have something wrong with it. What should I do next?

Kuma

#2 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (67z400 @ Dec 18 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recently installed the d&m kit and attempted to communicate with the ECU. I received the 125 communication error several times. I thought my hex may be corrupted. I then used Optimum Loader to resend the hex, but that did not work either. The optimum loader would attempt communication and then time out. I tried this on all the ports. Each ended with wakeup sequence failed, and reprogramming failed.

The bike runs, but I can not access the ECU. I think I may have something wrong with it. What should I do next?

Make sure the key is on and you wake up the ECU, rememmber it will time out after 2 minutes.

rayspeed

#3 Post by rayspeed »

And select the bike that you are hooked to by going to file and select ecu... it does not automatically select what you are talking to,you do have an auth code I assume.

67z400

#4 Post by 67z400 »

The key and start switch was on. I did select the ecu and put in the authorization code.

I don't know whether to send out the ecu to see if it can be "fixed" or do I buy a used ecu.

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

Do you have any more cannondales near you? It could be a break in your harness or the ECU. Having a spare is nice in these situations. If you would like i'll be glad to "sell" you one temporarily and if it turns out you don't need it you can send it back and i'll refund it for you.

Just let me know. Or it could just be better to send off to optimum.

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

check the wires for the plug on the harness side of the connection. I had a wiring harness that had a loose connection going into the plug that would do this once in a while. Just kind of "push" them all in to make sure they aren't loose.

67z400

#7 Post by 67z400 »

I called optimum and they think that it may be my wiring or a bad connection. They told me if the hex code was bad then the bike would not run. Currently, my bike runs great with no problems.

I'm gonna check all the wiring from the ECU to communication port and also see if I can get in touch with a near by cannondale.

If that doesn't work then I will look into getting a spare ECU

67z400

#8 Post by 67z400 »

A big thank you to speedracer, he let me borrow one of his spare ECUs. I hooked up the spare ECU to my bike. I tried to load hex and communicate to it via the D&M cable. I received the same errors that I did with my stock ECU. I now feel pretty confident that I have a wiring issue.

Does anyone have any tips for testing the wires? Can I use a multimeter to check the wires? Thanks!

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

I would start by looking at the pins in the adapter you plug your D&M cable into. If thats good then i would start tracking back to the main harness. There is a wire harness diagram available, you just need to get the correct version. With that you can test the main ECU plug to the adapter and verify which wire is bad.

http://www.cannondaler.com/files/cdale/man..._ATV_Wiring.pdf

http://www.cannondaler.com/files/cdale/man...28MC1000%29.pdf

67z400

#10 Post by 67z400 »

Thanks! You the man.

I'll start going through the wires and see what I come up with.