anyone use an AFR meter for tuning?

Mapping discussions
big.elk.hunter

#1 Post by big.elk.hunter »

I am just wondering if anyone has installed and AFR meter on their quad or bike to aid in tuning the ecu? I was wondering how well it would work? I would think it would work just fine. the only thing is you would need a tach to see what RPM you are at so you would know where to make the changes on the software. for the price of a couple trips to the dyno you could buy a decent AFR meter. of course you would not get the HP and torque charts like you would from the dyno either. a guy that I work with has one on his sled and can adjust on the fly. that would be nice....

chris

jinx44

#2 Post by jinx44 »

If you use a wideband such as the Innovate LM-1 (what many people use), you can buy an RPM converter as well. Then it will map AFR along with RPM. The only problem is you need a laptop to do it, which is kind of hard to hold onto while riding. LOL

I am tuning a turbo 400ex for a friend now, and using the LM-1.

jinx44

#3 Post by jinx44 »

I have the RPM converter (I haved used this wideband on trucks, cars, etc) but am not using it now. As soon as I get the idle AFR right and get it to start spooling correctly, then I will make a bracket to hold the LM-1 while test riding.

The biggest issue with the LM-1 is the huge size of the box. There are a few other widebands that are more size friendly.

I like tuning off a dyno with real world loads on the engine. I will be throwing this bike on a dyno when done though, just to get a HP number. Another good friend built his own ATV dyno, which is handy to get a number on for testing the power output after changing parts.

Let it be known that I did NOT fab up this kit. LOL I like using pre-made bends instead of angle cutting straight pipes and welding them together. I am just doing the tuning for him.

cdsracer

#4 Post by cdsracer »

Wideband Commander logs tps, rpm and afr...can be viewed later on a pc. They are about $400 and very useful but they don't replace a dyno.

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

I have and use the LM-1 myself and for my friends. And they do replace a dyno when you are using a dyno to tune the quad, not just looking at horsepower.

Kuma

#6 Post by Kuma »

I have the LM=2, works great, various view screens, no need for RPM converter, built in, you ca also log 4 anolog channels, I taped into the TPS, good for dialing in vatious throttle settings. I just wish I coult keep my quad running long enough to realy play with it mad.gif
keeps breaking with different issues, last one is a broken wrist pin, still need to send to Timbo to see if he can save the rod. sorry to go off on a rant.
Mine worked great pulling comp hill at Dumont.
Lap top is good for reviewing the data but the -2 has a playback mode also.

Nickc711

#7 Post by Nickc711 »

I was looking at this one for a while- Zeitronix Zt-2

I think its one of the cheapest and it has many add ons, RPM is standard

jinx44

#8 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (Nickc711 @ Apr 26 2010, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was looking at this one for a while- Zeitronix Zt-2

I think its one of the cheapest and it has many add ons, RPM is standard

When I was tuning the Mustang and both of my LM-1s crapped out, I looked seriously at the Zeitronix. Its a nice piece. I ended up just having my LM-1 repaired.

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

I have the Zeitronix. Its been so long scents I used it. I know it worked great with out issues. It does require a laptop to recored. I do also have one of there shirts,gave it to my wife she wears to it bed sometimes. laugh.gif

funmachines

#10 Post by funmachines »

Another innovate user here. I have the data aq set-up and and rpm sensor/inductive pick-up. I've used it for years with EFI cars and it's a great tuning tool. For getting AFR where you want it's great, but timing optimization can benefit from some measure of power (timed acceleration, etc.). It's pretty easy to strap somewhere while you make test runs.