Serial port adapter, pcmcia

Mapping discussions
Brad77

#1 Post by Brad77 »

Hey I know its been mentioned several times but I figured I would make a post specific for it.
I have been using a USB to serial adapter for the past few years with no problems. It allows me to do the basics with D&M. I also use my laptop in my line of work, which is telecommunications. I have lots of phone equipment that I connect to using a serial port. Although I am wanting the ability to load a hex code if needed.
Scooter has mentioned that a pcmcia serial adapter will allow loading a hex code. Has anyone tried one of these? Someone posted a link to one on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16839328020
One thing I wasnt sure about was if some of these pcmcia adapters are actually just emulating a hardware style serial interface. In other words its just a usb to serial adapter in a different package.
I really don't want another laptop to deal with. I had rather just use my main laptop for work and Cannondale stuff too. So if I could find one of these pcmcia adapters that would work Im gonna go that route. So if anyone has any experience with them let me know.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Scooter mentioned the baud rate was the problem with the adapters. On one of the reviews they also mention baud rate being an issue. i would perosonally just buy an old working laptop off ebay for $50 to $100 .