Injector offset seems rich

Mapping discussions
BlackToothGrin

#1 Post by BlackToothGrin »

First off, big thanks to Brad Oakley of Black Widow ATV, KDeal, and Scooter for all their help!!!

Now, I have an 03' Cannibal LE opened up to 460 with the head ported and the shorter velocity stack all done by Black Widow back in 06'. I've recently been experiencing starting issues with plugs fouling (cr9ek) basically every time. I hooked up my new D&M kit yesterday and reset the TPS, got it started and set the idle.

The TP ended up at 6.2% with idle RPM at 2200. The injector offset is 1.30 and flow rate 2400.

Is that okay? Does this seem rich and explain fouling issues?

In the FAQ forum somebody said ideal TP is between 3.5% and 4% at idle RPM and to adjust offset to dial this in. Is that correct, if so, which way does the offset have to go to get the desired results?

Any help would be great!

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Move the offset closer to 1.00 to lean it out some. 1.30 is pretty high up there....

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

If its starting to foul plugs and it didnt before then first on the list is check for plugged quick connects especially the return line. Flow and offset numbers mean nothing unless we know what map is in it . With a performance ported head it would need a map to go with it unless it was a cleanup job then a stock map might work.

BlackToothGrin

#4 Post by BlackToothGrin »

Thanks, I'll try that. Also can I put any quad map that's pre installed on the software on my ecu and no worry's about damage to my engine due to extremes? What would be the best one? I do 90% wooded trails riding. Is there some way to find out the differences between them?

BlackToothGrin

#5 Post by BlackToothGrin »

When I received all calibrations it said numerical cal ID is 30204. That was the first thing I did and didn't change anything but redo the TPS min. and max.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Seriously, I think you need to check fuel restriction before even thinking about trying to map out a problem that just cropped up. Injectors will only suddenly start spraying more fuel because the return fuel is being restricted. If it gets worse your just dead on the trail. You should also inspect for a flywheel thats starting to spin.

BlackToothGrin

#7 Post by BlackToothGrin »

QUOTE (Wistech @ May 1 2011, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If its starting to foul plugs and it didnt before then first on the list is check for plugged quick connects especially the return line. Flow and offset numbers mean nothing unless we know what map is in it . With a performance ported head it would need a map to go with it unless it was a cleanup job then a stock map might work.

The fuel lines don't seem plugged. Is there a fool proof way of checking them? I just PM'ed boomer about his upgrades. After i updated the TPS and set the idle it ran fairly good. Idle still seemed a little unsteady. The engine only had a few hours on it when I sent it to BW to get the reliability kit installed and I opted for some upgrades. I heard about factory unbalanced cranks and other problems and didn't wanna take any chances. Black Widow did a fantastic job and Brad is always willing to provide info and advice.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

You don't need any special fuel lines. Just check to see if the stock quick connects have been drilled out yet. Pop the tank off and disconnect them and look. Save your self untold wasted hours and money to do this simple mandatory check/update. If they are still in there drill all 4 valves out and go from there.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

X2 on disconnects and filter also for that matter and you also need to be careful even doing injector cals. If you lose that map in ECU downloading injector cals its gone for good. For that matter I would advise getting a good map made on dyno or with a power commander. You did mods so it needs a tune. Maybe old map was tuned for motor but there is no way to retrieve it out of your ECU. I hate that since it requires you to save the map elsewhere but honestly once tuned and issues solved you won't need to mess with it at all for years. Other advice:Check your idle and run a CR8EK plug.

BlackToothGrin

#10 Post by BlackToothGrin »

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it. I'm going to take care of those disconnects and run an 8 plug and see how that works. When I "received all calibrations" from the ECU, it said the "numerical cal id" was 30204. I'm understanding that it's not the current map so why does it give you this id number?