USB adapters

Mapping discussions
promod

#11 Post by promod »

Has anyone looked at the two links below to see if they will work for above mentioned topic replies and post details on a which i think is called a RS-232 9-pin serial data cable port to USB adapter! Will either of these work? the first link mentions driver for windows 7!

And also will any RS-232 9-PIN serial data male to female extension cable work with our communication cables and if so whats the longest you could use?

Also ive only used one end on the communication cable box closest to the led which is the female side, but will the opposite male end work also?..just never tried that end of it but figured it was just another side you could use just depending if you needed a male or female connection point!

Again any help on answers appreciated!

Thanx & Ciao!, Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-RS232-DB9-Adap...380468691185%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...vectorid=229466

Nate992v

#12 Post by Nate992v »

How does a code download affect the bike? All I'm really looking to do is to put the moto map on it and remove the Nac's map and then set the min/max on the throttle body. Will I be able to do this with a serial data to USB conversion?

Scooter

#13 Post by Scooter »

The new laptops do not have the slot I guess. The usb to 9 pin will let you download maps and recal the throttle but not do a code download, witch is the operating system on the ECU. If it is working and not a new blank ecu you should never need that function. The 9 pin opposite the end of the led is for the pocket PC or PDA. You can use an extender cable but it can not be a X-Talk it must be a true extender and I do not think a length is an issue. I hope this answers the questions. Let me know if you have more questions soon as I will be out of touch till the 26th starting the 16th lunch time.

Scooter

promod

#14 Post by promod »

QUOTE (Scooter @ Nov 15 2012, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The new laptops do not have the slot I guess. The usb to 9 pin will let you download maps and recal the throttle but not do a code download, witch is the operating system on the ECU. If it is working and not a new blank ecu you should never need that function. The 9 pin opposite the end of the led is for the pocket PC or PDA. You can use an extender cable but it can not be a X-Talk it must be a true extender and I do not think a length is an issue. I hope this answers the questions. Let me know if you have more questions soon as I will be out of touch till the 26th starting the 16th lunch time.

Scooter

Scooter, Thanx for the usefull info!

However i called a good freind about this issue (while waiting for reply answers from anyone) who has been a long time tech guy at Optimum today (wont mention a name but sure you know who im talking about, but was there when you were and said to say hello to you!) and he gave the answer faster than i could ask the question!

He said what we need is and guaranteed (an expression only! LOL!) to take care of all the issues is in fact a USB to SERIAL ADAPTER (DB9) from a company called BAFO Technologies, the part number is BF-810 !, He said DO NOT use a Belkin brand or any other cheap import brand of the like, although he said there are maybe other companies that might offer such that will work but have not been tested by Optimum to see...but he knows this one from BAFO will work for sure and is compatible for up to Windows 7!

Below is the link to the company and item, but although they dont sell direct it has a link to a list of many several places that sell there products and this item and are reasonably priced!

Got mine on order already...so we will see!, hope this info is usefull to all on this matter and here is the link!

http://www.bafo.com/products_bf-810_F.asp

Thanx & Ciao wink.gif ! MW

PS: On your reply here you said on the question i asked about a extension cable "it can not be a X-Talk it must be a true extender" how do you know or can tell the difference?

Scooter

#15 Post by Scooter »

It will say on the box or just ask. The X-talk ones swap the transmit and receive lines so I guess if you got two then it would all be good again.

Scooter

PS: Roy is a good guy!

promod

#16 Post by promod »

QUOTE (promod @ Nov 15 2012, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scooter, Thanx for the usefull info!

However i called a good freind about this issue (while waiting for reply answers from anyone) who has been a long time tech guy at Optimum today (wont mention a name but sure you know who im talking about, but was there when you were and said to say hello to you!) and he gave the answer faster than i could ask the question!

He said what we need is and guaranteed (an expression only! LOL!) to take care of all the issues is in fact a USB to SERIAL ADAPTER (DB9) from a company called BAFO Technologies, the part number is BF-810 !, He said DO NOT use a Belkin brand or any other cheap import brand of the like, although he said there are maybe other companies that might offer such that will work but have not been tested by Optimum to see...but he knows this one from BAFO will work for sure and is compatible for up to Windows 7!

Below is the link to the company and item, but although they dont sell direct it has a link to a list of many several places that sell there products and this item and are reasonably priced!

Got mine on order already...so we will see!, hope this info is usefull to all on this matter and here is the link!

http://www.bafo.com/products_bf-810_F.asp

Thanx & Ciao wink.gif ! MW

PS: On your reply here you said on the question i asked about a extension cable "it can not be a X-Talk it must be a true extender" how do you know or can tell the difference?

FYI for anyone thats gets one of these BAFO USB to SERIAL Adapters.....Scooter is correct on saying this...."The usb to 9 pin will let you download maps and recal the throttle but not do a code download, which is the operating system on the ECU. If it is working and not a new blank ecu you should never need that function"

As per Optimum the BAFO will perform great on cal download and throttle recals. Unfortunately, you have to go to the card-type driver devices as Scooter mentioned in order to properly do the code download. This is due to the fact that baud rates actually change a few times during the code download and these baud rates are required to be very specific and they are un-conventional. Even The USB-to-Serial devices like the BAFO are just not up to that task!

On the other hand, the communication for cal downloads is relatively straightforward and the BAFO handles these nicely! wink.gif Ciao! MW