USB adapters

Mapping discussions
Nate992v

#1 Post by Nate992v »

Has anyone tried using a 9 pin serial data port to USB adapter when remapping? My laptop has multiple USB ports, but none of the old school pin type. Will an adapter work, or should I suck it up and look for a used CPU that has one?

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

You can't so a code download, but the rest works fine. I suggest getting a cheap laptop with the serial port. I got one for $50 with a brand new battery and is designated as the CDale computer.

Scooter

#3 Post by Scooter »

You can use a PCIMCA to USB adapter and get the full function with a new lap top. If you have the slot in the computer this is the best approach and the software will run in windows 7.

Scooter

promod

#4 Post by promod »

QUOTE (Scooter @ Nov 14 2012, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can use a PCIMCA to USB adapter and get the full function with a new lap top. If you have the slot in the computer this is the best approach and the software will run in windows 7.

Scooter

Scooter biggrin.gif , Having the same problem!, My daughter just bought me (after my old laptop crashed!) a new HP TOUCHSMART 320-1030 ALL-IN-ONE DESKTOP thats kinda like a big laptop where everything but keyboard and mouse is built in to the monitor and takes up a lot less room than the old tower style pc's and i use it now in my shop and my dealercal loaded fine and is opening with windows 7!, but all i have also is a bunch of USB 2.0 PORTS!, Is this PCIMCA to USB adapter you are talking about just a external adapter i can plug my serial data port cable into and then plug in to my usb ports? or is this something like a card that goes inside the computer which i dont think i can do but dont know as hate to take apart to see (as your mentioned quote: "If you have the slot in the computer")!, i googled the PCIMCA to USB adapter but it shows so many ...im really confused! if there is such a thing as a external type you are talking about can you please send me a link to it to show me what i need to purchase? i am not really a computer know-it-all so im really lost a lot on that kind of stuff talk!....any help to get me going again would be appreciated by me and im sure many others having to replace there old systems! Hope to hear a reply! Thanx & Ciao! MW

haulinit

#5 Post by haulinit »

Has anybody looked into a bench tuning setup? Take a old wiring harness strip it down to a smaller size with only the wires needed to reflash? I use a small 12v battery with a switch to simulate key on/off for when I bench tune GM ecu's. This way somebody like Promod wouldnt have to wheel the quad close to the computer he could just take the ECU and reflash it. Plus alot of the times it eliminates the "noise"(which I dont think we have much of a problem here unlike more complicated vehicle ones) from the system to interfer with the reflash.

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

QUOTE (Scooter @ Nov 14 2012, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scooter

I tried this on two seperate newer computers with that adapter and no luck. Never could download the hex codes. Both had Windows 7 too. Somebody else on forums said the adapter worked for them awhile back, but never could get it to work for me. Ended up buying a cheap laptop.

promod

#7 Post by promod »

QUOTE (promod @ Nov 14 2012, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Scooter biggrin.gif , Having the same problem!, My daughter just bought me (after my old laptop crashed!) a new HP TOUCHSMART 320-1030 ALL-IN-ONE DESKTOP thats kinda like a big laptop where everything but keyboard and mouse is built in to the monitor and takes up a lot less room than the old tower style pc's and i use it now in my shop and my dealercal loaded fine and is opening with windows 7!, but all i have also is a bunch of USB 2.0 PORTS!, Is this PCIMCA to USB adapter you are talking about just a external adapter i can plug my serial data port cable into and then plug in to my usb ports? or is this something like a card that goes inside the computer which i dont think i can do but dont know as hate to take apart to see (as your mentioned quote: "If you have the slot in the computer")!, i googled the PCIMCA to USB adapter but it shows so many ...im really confused! if there is such a thing as a external type you are talking about can you please send me a link to it to show me what i need to purchase? i am not really a computer know-it-all so im really lost a lot on that kind of stuff talk!....any help to get me going again would be appreciated by me and im sure many others having to replace there old systems! Hope to hear a reply! Thanx & Ciao! MW

Will something like this work i found on Ebay, here are two different ones, first one speaks of driver for windows 7?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-RS232-DB9-Adap...380468691185%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...vectorid=229466

Scooter

#8 Post by Scooter »

The card is a 9 pin on one end and a creditcard on the other. It would slide in a slot on the side like for a wireless card. Those would work for everything. We built a desk top harness for doing just what you were talking about. I even made some with tps and iacv so you coul recall the tps on the bench.

Scooter

promod

#9 Post by promod »

QUOTE (Scooter @ Nov 15 2012, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The card is a 9 pin on one end and a creditcard on the other. It would slide in a slot on the side like for a wireless card. Those would work for everything. We built a desk top harness for doing just what you were talking about. I even made some with tps and iacv so you coul recall the tps on the bench.

Scooter

Scooter, Thanx for the reply!, but now im really confused!, my new computer has no slot for any kind of card to go in to as you speak, the only slot i have besides a bunch of USB's is for like for a SDHC card!, my only option is to use a external adapter i can plug my serial data port cable into and then plug in to my usb ports? again as i stated im not real computer lingo savy! Below are two links to that show a which i think is called a RS-232 9-pin serial data cable port to USB adapter! Will these work? please help me! Thanx & Ciao!, Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-RS232-DB9-Adap...380468691185%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...vectorid=229466

haulinit

#10 Post by haulinit »

Scooter, I never even thought about doing the throttle recal.