Anyone ever use a PC Card db9 adapter?

Mapping discussions
m_mcgranahan

#1 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

I am looking at getting a slightly less "dinosaur" computer for my D&M usage. I know some people use a USB to DB9 adaptar, but has anyone ever tried a PC Card to db9 adapter like this one on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS232-DB9-Serial-I...=item2a2001d47a

I kind of like the idea on not having an external dongle waiting for me to loose it, drop it in the mud etc.

Thanks

God bless...
Mark

Scooter

#2 Post by Scooter »

That should work a lot better than the old USB to 9 pin. That will give you full access to the D&M tool. You will be able to do code download as well as map download with it.

Scooter

promod

#3 Post by promod »

QUOTE (Scooter @ Mar 19 2014, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That should work a lot better than the old USB to 9 pin. That will give you full access to the D&M tool. You will be able to do code download as well as map download with it.

Scooter

Not a big computer know-it-all guru, so stupid question? but does this just plug into like your SD memory and similar card slot on side of conmputer or is it a something you install internally? huh.gif

m_mcgranahan

#4 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (promod @ Mar 19 2014, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a big computer know-it-all guru, so stupid question? but does this just plug into like your SD memory and similar card slot on side of conmputer or is it a something you install internally? huh.gif

Yep. Plugs right into a slot in most laptops that run windows based operating systems.

God bless...
Mark

promod

#5 Post by promod »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ Mar 19 2014, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep. Plugs right into a slot in most laptops that run windows based operating systems.

God bless...
Mark

Thanks Mark,

But still kind of confused, so this card in this topic and shown link will plug right into where i install my camera memory card, sd card etc..slot on my computer? and note thats the only slot it has which is aprx. 1" (which this card on link looks wider to me!) besides multiple usb ports and of course cd drive slot, Now the computer im using is windows 7 based, but its a HP all-in-one type desktop PC, not a laptop, although to me its just a big desk top version of a laptop and use it in my shop and have been using a BAFO usb to db9 adapter..but it has been causing me some issues with getting dealercal and ProCal to work to its full potential, my old laptop that had a db9 port has crapped out and old outdated PC that had a db9 serial port is out of memory, has issues, aging and just retired it, i bought this instead of another laptop for several reasons but as stated to use in my shops office so it is accessible to my bikes!

Please confirm this is what i need, as stated before not a know-it-all computer tech guru, so just want to make sure it will plug into that slot im talking about and what i need to get DealerCal and ProCal working again correctly!

And if this wont work, been looking for a good used laptop with a db9 serial port on it to use only for this purpose, been to scared to buy one off ebay as you never know what you would get, plus some of the computer shops around here wont more for a old style laptop than you could buy a new one or a PC for!...crazy! so if anyone has a extra one reasonable priced with at least windows ME or XP on it for sale let me know!

All and any help greatly appreciated!, Thanx again my friend, Ciao! Mike

m_mcgranahan

#6 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

SOrry, yeah the slot I am talking about is only on laptops. For your machine, the best option would be to add a db9 card. (Not to hard for a computer tech at geek squad etc to install) Otherwise the usb to db9 is a workable solution.

God bless...
Mark

r.porter

#7 Post by r.porter »

Just to let you know this Is a PCMCIA card , and not an SD. It is about the size of a credit card.

QUOTE (promod @ Mar 19 2014, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>