Cannibal hard starting

Mapping discussions
topfli8979

#1 Post by topfli8979 »

I picked up a 02 cannibal, found motor to be blown. Then completely rebuilt top end with help of local cannondale owner. Prior owner fried the ecu pump driver and installed toggle switch for fuel pump so it runs constantly. Should I try to to find a replacement ecu? When the bike will start it runs great for as long as Im willing to ride. But once i shut it off and cold start it just cranks and cranks,backfires through throttle body. Im sure prior owner has the mapping jacked up somehow. I have the dm software, and over 30 maps, I just dont know correct one. How many times should a correctly built fresh motor crank before it fires? Where would i find original "stock" mapping?

Scooter

#2 Post by Scooter »

It sounds to me like it is rich or maybe just need the throttle re calibrated. We will need to know more about your machine before we start to offer sugestions on what map to run. You need to know what the fuel injection cals are so we have a base line. These numbers are also important so you have a record of what should be in there.

Scooter

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I agree with scooter on the throttle cal. Just a few quick questions . Are you doing the the correct cold start procedure? Tap the starter but not enough to crank the engine, wait a second ,tap wait a second , tap,wait a second , then crank engine . It should fire right off . it may stall once or twice if cold but thats ok. Do not crank the engine for more than 5 seconds as the starting fuel squirts will be gone. If its firing while giving it throttle with prolonged cranking then you may have a mapping issue. As a basic check cranking compresion , tee into the fuel line and check fuel pressure.

topfli8979

#4 Post by topfli8979 »

I do use the correct cold starting method, it does not seem to help. This is where it gets weird, after wistech told me to check compression. I did using 3-different gauges all are showing 30 psi. I know it should be considerably more on a fresh engine, i didnt think a motor would run with 30 psi. But it runs great, when it wants too. Im at a loss here with this bike. Sound like a valve is sticking open?

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

I have never had an engine start below 50psi but 30psi would explain a very hard start. I would for sure do a leakdown test. You might have a tiny piece of debris in a valve seat or the rings got scored .

Cannonblaze

#6 Post by Cannonblaze »

It sounds like mine anyways here's the link you decide if it is
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...showtopic=26968

topfli8979

#7 Post by topfli8979 »

Installed new battery, got compression up to 90psi. Old battery was bad I guess. Proceeded with the correct start procedure, tap-wait,tap-wait,tap-wait on start button. Hit it again and big fire ball came out of exhaust. Another hit it started. I did do throttle cal with dmm. Pulled spark plug and it is black, not brown. So i believe it is running rich. VIN # 5B6FD31G53B000061

topfli8979

#8 Post by topfli8979 »

Dmm calibration from is ECU is as follows

TPS Sensor Closes 0.22
Tps Sensor Open 4.29
Throttle Body Leakage 0.0
Fuel Injector Flowrate 2450
Injector Offset 1.20

Numeric Cal ID 30203

Description
2002 Moto440 ATV production Map 12-19-01- Speed Mapping above 7744 rpm

rayspeed

#9 Post by rayspeed »

Those values do not look too far off you could probably back the offset down to 1.1 or 1.15 but the next thing I would do is take apart the fuel regulator and clean and lube it. Maybe it is sticking and you have too much or too little fuel pressure. There is just a snap ring to get it apart and it is pretty simple inside nothing to be afraid of and often overlooked.