"Quiet" Map?

Mapping discussions
crawlr

"Quiet" Map?

#1 Post by crawlr »

Is it possible to make a map that would make my '02 Speed quiet enough to pass the sound test in California? I was thinking that running it a little rich and retarding the timing in the mid range might be a little quieter. Then I could get the map-select and switch to this one for the test then switch back to normal to ride again. How bad for the motor would this be?
Thanks
Derek

btolenti

#2 Post by btolenti »

What about the stock speed exhaust????

crawlr

#3 Post by crawlr »

The stock Speed exhaust started coming apart inside after about 4 rides. That "toaster" was a little quieter but it was a piece of crap! Don't want to go back there.

btolenti

#4 Post by btolenti »

Can't you just use the stock one to pass the test, and then switch to your aftermarket one?

I thought once you passed the test, they gave you sticker that is good for a year....or so....but am not sure.

crawlr

#5 Post by crawlr »

From what I was told they can randomly test you any time they think you are too loud. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll have to do a little more research

EuroGOD

#6 Post by EuroGOD »

Most of the noise comes from the engine.
There is a fix, it involves changing out some of the internals, check out:
www.rsperformance.net
www.atkusa.com
or leave a post in the Ask Southbay thread.

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

You could always run the Quite core with an HMF, supposed to help alot.

You may try a mellow a map with a lowered rev limit so they can't hear the full blast of the motor, then switch it after the inspection. I've heard the C map from the MC is very tame.

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by EuroGOD
Most of the noise comes from the engine.
There is a fix, it involves changing out some of the internals, check out:
www.rsperformance.net
www.atkusa.com
or leave a post in the Ask Southbay thread.

I would have to agree with EUROGOD. I think alot of the noise is from the motor. The map may help some, but pipes for the Dales are limited. Most of them a pretty loud too. I would say the HMF with the quiet core should do the trick though.

Another suggestion is to get a db meter and try your theory out. Then post them here and let us know. I know this doesn't help you though.smile.gif

thomez

#9 Post by thomez »

Hey Euro,

You think if you had map select that you could use the "moped" map for inspection? Now THAT'S an idea smile.gif

EuroGOD

#10 Post by EuroGOD »

Originally posted by thomez
Hey Euro,

You think if you had map select that you could use the "moped" map for inspection? Now THAT'S an idea smile.gif

Nah, you still get all the noise just no power.
It'd be the perfect map for putting around the golf course though biggrin.gif